40: Brutal Execution

"An execution..." the nobles murmured to each other as they watched the Countess struggling on the floor below all of them.

Athanasia glared directly at the wench. Jennette in the crowd looked petrified as well as Duke Alpheus but the man knew he could do nothing against the Empress.

"This wench will be stripped..." some gasps could be heard. "Of her title." Athanasia continued coldly.

Jennette's aunt was no longer a noble.

"She is worth nothing. Now just as lowly as a mere slave without her status."

Claude glanced at his daughter, as Felix gulped at her murderous aura.

With a roll of her hand the executioners arrived with their unique armor and the Royal guards went to fetch the contraption.

Athanasia lowered her eyelids, spotting Jennette in the crowd. Jennette looked back at her, expression fearful yet unashamed of her aunt's fate in Athanasia's hands.

That's an improvement.

Jennette is getting stronger emotionally.

Shaking those thoughts away Athanasia's attention went back to the wench on the ground, shaking like a leaf.

She watched as the Royal guards brought wooden stands, like those from swings, and put them in the middle of the landscape below.

They then brought a bucket under it as they forced Rosalia to stand up.

They force her to the contraption, taking out ropes as they turned her upside-down, tying the ropes to her ankles and hands, binding her upside-down as she screamed for help.

No one did anything. Everyone stayed silent, no one daring to utter a word in fear that the same will be done to them as they all took a small glance towards their cruel Empress.

Rosalia kept on screaming and with a flick of the Empress' hand one of the executioners slapped her, making her choke on her sobs as they took a long saw.

Most of the people covered their eyes as the torture began.

The screaming was horrifying as even Duke Alpheus covered his eyes.

They first started to cut through between her legs as the blood trickled all the way to her face.

She screamed non-stop. Loud. Fearful. Panicked. Pained.

Athanasia made the torture last for an hour straight, making the executioners poke her skin with knives, cutting them open as her throat dried out from continuous screaming.

Soon she died. In that upside-down position, as her blood-loss was too much.

Lucas was in the crowd, disguised, and he was grinning like the Cheshire Cat as he watched Rosalia die. He will convince Athanasia to have a feast later.

Once her breathing stopped, the whole place was quiet. Eerily quiet, as even Claude looked unnerved at the silence. Felix's face was purple; he had not known Athanasia was so ruthless.

The innocent, cute, lovable princess... She was gone. And in was a monster, even more terrible than its parent...

Jennette was the most pale as everyone silently glanced at her.

It was traumatising. Watching your own aunt, your family, dying and being tortured before your eyes.

...

Athanasia could care less about where the body ends up now.

"Cut the head and display it at the capital. Let them know what would happen if they dare harm a Royal."

At their Empress' words, the executioners does so.

And that was the end.

The body was cleaned up and everyone was able to speak again.

However, no one did. The shock... It was still permeating around the room. So much so that everyone finds it difficult to speak. They all had a newfound fear of Athanasia.

Their Empress, a beautiful woman, but a hideous monster inside... It was terrifying.

"Let this be a lesson to all those who are attempting." she glared at everyone and everyone cowered immediately. "You will be next if you even dare think of it."

She used magic again and everyone was suddenly back at the banquet hall.

With that she ordered everyone to disperse, leaving only her, Claude, Felix, the Royal guards and Jennette.

Jennette, who had the guts to stay.

She bowed to Athanasia, her usually cheerful expression gone, replaced with fear. However, still unashamed. She was not sad her aunt was no more.

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

Her voice was shaky but nonetheless, she said it.

"It is my pleasure." Athanasia responded without a second thought as Jennette raised her head, nodding before shakily stepping out, face still as pale as paper.

No one said a word.

Not like anyone could after witnessing what their initially lovely Athanasia could do without hesitation.