Chapter Fifty-One

Exams. Pixie never thought about the actual taking of the exams. She revised the subjects. And she studied everything she had to do. But she didn't think how hard actually sitting and doing the exam would be. Nervous. She thought she'd be fine. She's a Stark. She's never had a problem with exams before. But she was actually nervous about these ones. Probably because she knows there is more at risk here. She knows that if she fails, she might get kicked out of Hogwarts. If that's a thing. Or she might have to repeat her first year. That would be embarrassing. It's four days of intense exams. From written papers to practical exams. Professor Flitwick calls them into his classroom, one by one, and asks them to make a pineapple tap dance across a desk. Professor McGonagall watches them turn a mouse into a snuffbox. And Snape had them make a Forgetfulness potion. Pixie was pretty confident in the last one. Potions is one of her favourites. Despite how everyone else feels about Snape. Their very last exam is History of Magic. It's one that they all agree could be better. But it is an hour of answering questions on old wizards that haven't contributed anything to the world since the dawn of time. Pixie was initially excited about it, in the beginning, and did spend a lot of time before coming to Hogwarts reading all the books she could, perhaps that is why she found it disappointingly empty. But with the end of the exam, they have finished, done for the year. A week before they get their results.

.....

Hermione, Pansy, and Pixie walk together as they leave the classroom behind. The Gryffindor on one side of Pixie, her Slytherin classmate on the other. Pansy and Hermione aren't exactly friends, but they are friends with Pixie. And they can tolerate one another for their mutual friend. Harry and Ron leave the classroom behind them. Both look exhausted and completely spent. They put their all into their exams.

"That was far easier than I thought it would be," Hermione comments, Ron looks rather offended by that statement because he found it hard. He told Pixie that he didn't need to revise the History of Magic because he was raised around magic. He wishes he hadn't said that now. "I needn't have learned about the 1637 Werewolf Code of Conduct or the uprising of Elfric the Eager." Hermione turns to Pixie and Pixie already knows what Hermione is going to say. Because she does and says this after every exam so far. A sort of debriefing for herself. But Pixie is not having it. Not today. They got over that last exam. They have the time to enjoy

"Not today" Pixie stops her. "This was our last exam...we are going to go and enjoy the spring sunshine" Hermione goes to argue. "Hermione, just for a few hours...it's done. We can't do any more..." Hermione lets out a breath and then nods, caving. Pixie smiles widely, victorious. Harry, Ron, and Hermione start to walk away with Pixie, but Pansy sinks back, she's not sure where she stands with Pixie's other friends. Ron stops and glances at her behind them.

"Are you coming with us, Parkinson?" He asks. Pixie glances at Ron and then at Pansy, giving her an encouraging nod. Ron is reaching out. To include Pixie's friend in their day. She knows he was funny with her in the beginning because of the whole Slytherin thing, but it seems he has gotten over that. That he's inviting Pansy proves that.

"I know you guys..." Pansy starts. "That I'm not..."

"Well, you are now" Harry stops her and nods. Pansy takes a breath and moves closer to them, Pixie looping her arm with her roommate who gives her a small unsure smile. Pixie doesn't care about what having Gryffindor friends does to her reputation, but Pansy has spent more time with the Slytherins. She isn't 100% there yet. But Pixie is her friend and her other friends are asking her to join them. She's not about to go and sit alone for the next week.

........

The mixed group of friends end up down at the Black Lake, sitting under a huge tree, offering a little bit of shade from the June sun that shines down onto the grounds. A little way along from them, the Weasley twins and Lee Jordan are currently tickling the tentacles of a giant squid, which is basking in the warm shallows.

"No more studying," Ron sighs, stretching out in the grass. "You could look more cheerful, Harry, we've got a week before we find out how badly we've done, there's no need to worry yet." Harry is rubbing his forehead. Pansy cocks her head, watching him.

"What's wrong with your head, Potter?" She asks, Harry looks at her and then lowers his hand.

"My scar keeps hurting" He admits, she pulls a face and he nods in agreement. "It's happened before, but never as often as this."

"Go to Madam Pomfrey," Hermione suggests as Pixie rests her head back, the sun on her face.

"I'm not ill," Harry argues. "I think it's a warning... it means danger's coming..." Ron lounges back, sinking into the soft grass, he is choosing not to get all worked up over it. Harry, however, is getting more and more worked up. He cuts off his words, then glances at Pansy who leans up onto her elbow, giving Harry a look back. "Urm..."

"Oh, this is about the Philosopher's stone, the hidden trap door, and the giant three-headed dog?" Pansy offers, Harry, Ron and Hermione turn to her and then give Pixie a look, knowing that she's told Pansy everything.

"What?" Pixie defends. "Pansy's my friend too and sometimes I need to unload everything on someone that's not part of this"

"I won't tell anyone" Pansy assures them and then smirks. "We pinkie swore" She teases, wiggling her little finger. "Unbreakable vow" She nudges Pixie who snorts.

"Look, Hermione's right, the Stone's safe as long as Dumbledore's around" Ron offers with a shrug. "Anyway, we've never had any proof Snape found out how to get past Fluffy. He nearly had his leg ripped off once, he's not going to try it again in a hurry. And Neville will play Quidditch for England before Hagrid lets Dumbledore down" Pixie glances out over the lake, in thought. She's in agreement with Harry. There is something in the air. Something she can't place. Something that is bothering her. She just can't put her finger on it. She knows that Hagrid would never betray Dumbledore. He doesn't seem the kind of man to do that. Dumbledore gave him a job. A home here. Why would he turn around and betray him? Hagrid would never tell anyone how to get past Fluffy...never...but.....Pixie suddenly jumps to her feet. Looking as if she's just discovered the location of Shangri-La. "Where're you going?" Ron asks sleepily.

"I've just thought of something," Pixie admits. "We've got to go and see Hagrid, now." Pixie then hurries off, not waiting on them. Harry, Hermione and Ron share a look. None of them has any idea what's going on with her. But they know that she wouldn't rush off unless it was important.

"Pansy?" Hermione asks.

"Oh, no" Pansy stops them. "I am fine with listening to her whine, but no thanks to getting involved" Hermione, Ron and Harry then hurry to catch up with Pixie.

"Pix, what's going on?" Hermione asks her.

"A bit strange," Pixie starts as they head up the grassy slope. "That what Hagrid wants more than anything else is a dragon, and a total stranger suddenly turns up who just happens to have an egg in his pocket? How many people do you think wander around with dragon eggs when it's against the law? Lucky they found Hagrid, don't you think? Why didn't I see it before?" She taps her head, annoyed at herself for completely missing the obvious. 

"What are you talking about?" Ron counters as they follow her, but she says nothing. She just hurries across the ground towards the forest, and Hagrid's hut.

A/N - WITH PANSY HAVING A MORE PROMINENT ROLE, I HAVE A FACE CLAIM IN MIND AS I WRITE HER. 

KIKO MIZUHARA