Chapter 31

The afternoon sun shone over the village as Kakashi made his way back to his house jumping from roof to roof with Kushina's words echoing in his mind. "I'm done thinking about the past, it's time to think about now." Kakashi thought to himself.

Kakashi arrived at his first door standing there for a minute preparing himself for what might happen. "I'm ready for this, Rin has every right to be mad at me and I just need to let her know that I'm done thinking about the past. I'm just focused on the now." Kakashi thought to himself and then turned the key in the lock.

Kakashi opened the door and immediately locked eyes with Rin. Kakashi could feel himself involuntarily hold his breath in anticipation not sure what to say to her or how to even approach her. Before he could even take a step, Rin was already on him hugging him tightly as if she were to loosen her grip he would disappear.

"Rin I-." Kakashi said fully ready to apologize to her for everything that he did and to tell her about his new way of thinking and viewing life. However Rin cut him off before he could say what was on his mind.

"Kakashi I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have sprung my feelings on you like that." Rin said burying her head into his chest sobs racking her body. Kakashi surprised by her actions hugged her back and did his best to soothe her. "I can't believe that she's apologizing to me, she did nothing wrong." Kakashi thought looking at Rin who was still crying.

Kakashi continued to hug her at a loss of what to do. He had rarely been in this situation and he just dumbly stared at her with no comforting thoughts coming to mind to help her. He finally snapped out of his trance. "Rin you didn't do anything wrong, we should go sit down and talk about it." He said taking a sniffling Rin by the hand and leading her to the couch where they could sit down.

It took Rin a minute to wipe the tears from her eyes before she was ready to talk and listen. "Kakashi I've put a lot of thought into this and I need to tell you something." Rin said mustering up all her courage.

"I need to tell you something too Rin, it's something that I've realized recently. Kakashi said getting closer to her prepared to let his true feelings for her be known.

"Please Kakashi let me go first, I really need to let you know what I think." Rin said pleading with him holding his arm with her trembling hands. Kakashi looked at her. "Ok Rin you can go first." He said.

Rin smiled softly in response and took a minute to compose herself. "Kakashi I've been thinking a lot about us recently." Kakashi could feel his heart begin to race faster upon the mention of them together.

Rin continued. "And I was wrong to force my feelings upon you even though you didn't feel the same way. I hope that we can work around it and that our friendship can continue. So best friends Kakashi?" Rin asked.

Kakashi couldn't believe what Rin had just said, this was the exact opposite of what he wanted. He could feel his face fall in disappointment, luckily for him his mask hid his expression. Kakashi only let his disappointment be on his face for half a second before he replaced it with a fake happy one. "That's great Rin, I'm glad that we can be friends again." Kakashi said with a large fake smile on his face.

A knock was heard at the door. Kakashi and Rin looked at each other questioningly. "Are you expecting anyone?" Kakashi asked standing up to answer the door.

"No, I didn't ask anyone to come over." Rin asked still sitting on the couch. Kakashi opened the door and came face to face with two jonin from the Hokage's office. "Can I help you two?" Kakashi asked.

"We've been informed that Rin Nohara lives here, is she here?" One of them asked.

"Yes she's here, why are you looking for her?" Kakashi asked. "Lady Tsunade has requested to talk to her, not even we know the reason why." The other jonin answered.