Chapter 40

For the next couple days Kakashi visited Guy every day in the hospital, neither he or Lee had woken yet. Tsunade and Rin hadn't had any luck figuring out what was wrong with them.

Rin had pushed herself the past couple days, rarely taking a break as she tried to figure out the issue. She looked at the pair's vitals for what seemed like the hundredth time as she rubbed the tiredness from her eyes. "I've got to figure out what's wrong with them. She sat down reviewing their blood work looking for anything unusual.

Despite her best efforts, Rin could feel herself asleep and starting to slump forward. She quickly fell asleep and letting sleep overcome her.

She didn't know how much time had passed when she felt someone gently shaking her awake. She groggily looked up to see Kakashi standing next to her looking concerned.

"Hey Kakashi what are you doing here?" Rin yawned as she stretched and sat up.

"I came to check on Guy and Lee, and I found you here sleeping on the table." He said as she looked sheepish at the mention of her sleeping.

"When was the last time that you slept?" Kakashi asked raising an eyebrow at Rin causing her to shrink in her seat.

"Last night." Rin meekly answered, her voice barely audible.

Rin already knew what Kakashi was going to ask next, but she waited for him to ask the question. "How much sleep did you get?" He asked.

Rin opened her mouth to give him an answer that would keep him off her case, but before she could he cut her off. "Don't lie to me Rin, I can tell."

Rin slumped in defeat, her head resting on her hand. "About a hour or 2." She answered.

Kakashi was entirely surprised. He knew that Rin was the type of person to push herself to help others or solve a problem. "Come on Rin we're going." He said extending his hand down to her.

She looked at him in confusion. "Where?"

"It's a surprise." Kakashi answered smiling widely.

Rin looked at him narrowing her eyes. "I'm not going somewhere I don't know and I need to get back to work." She said turning away from him in the chair.

Kakashi sighed to himself. "Why does she have to make it so difficult." He thought grabbing her and hoisting her onto his shoulder.

Rin let a yelp at Kakashi's sudden action and she soon found herself on his shoulder. Her surprise soon turned to anger. "Kakashi put me down." She said as she banged her hands against his back.

"You know that's not going to work right?" Kakashi asked as he exited the room still holding onto her.

Rin stopped hitting him. She knew that he was right. "Fine. Can you at least not hold me like a bag of potatoes?" Rin pouted.

Without a word Kakashi switched his carrying style and now held her bridal style. "Is that better?" He asked.

A blush tainted Rin's face and she could only manage a nod unable to find her voice.

Kakashi carried her through the hospital like that and Rin's blush darken as staff and patients saw the position that she was in. "How is Kakashi not embarrassed?" She thought to herself as she looked up at the copy ninja.

She was incorrect in her assumption as Kakashi was blushing furiously, but his mask prevented anyone from seeing it.

The two of them arrived in the lobby and were met with Lady Tsunade and Shizune who were entering the hospital.

Both Kakashi and Rin were flustered to see Lady Tsunade. "So what do we have here?" Lady Tsunade asked a smirk dancing on her lips as Shizune smiled from behind her.

Kakashi was the first one to answer. "I was just taking Rin back to her house."

"Why are you carrying her like that?" Shizune asked pointing. Both Kakashi and Rin glared at their friend causing her to shrink and hide behind her mentor.

Kakashi looked at Lady Tsunade who was waiting for an answer. "It was the only way I could get her to stop working. She hasn't been getting proper rest and she's overworking herself." He said.

Rin was annoyed that Kakashi could determine what was best for her. "I'm fine, I can keep working. Thanks for the concern Kakashi, but I'm ok." She said beginning to climb down from his arms.

Lady Tsunade cut in. "Kakashi is right Rin, you have been overworking yourself."

"I'm really fine Lady Tsunade." Rin protested, but Lady Tsunade continued.

"Rin with the condition you're in, you'll just get in the way. Go home and get some sleep." She said.

Kakashi carried her out of the hospital. "See I win." He gloated as she just rolled her and pouted.

They arrived quickly at Rin's house as it was situated close to the hospital and Kakashi put her down in front of her house. "I trust that you'll listen and get some rest instead of going back to the hospital." He said a bit more sternly than he intended.

He flinched slightly at the sound of his own voice, but Rin seemed unfazed to Kakashi's relief.

"Yeah, I'll rest besides Lady Tsunade is at the hospital so there's no way she's letting me back into the hospital." Rin said.

"Ok that's good now that's it's settled I'm off." Kakashi said as he began to walk away.

"Wait Kakashi I've got something that I need to ask you." Rin said stopping Kakashi in his tracks.

"What is it." Kakashi asked slightly turning around.

Kakashi noticed that Rin seemed a bit nervous to ask the question as she couldn't make eye contact with him. "What is it Rin?" Kakashi asked again this time his voice was softer.

Rin finally made eye contact with him when she asked the question. "When was the last time you saw Obito?" She asked.

"I saw him at Asuma's bachelor party." He said smiling widely trying to put Rin to ease. He and Obito had not really talking to each other since they had their fight 2 years ago.

This didn't satisfy Rin however. "Have you sat down and really talked to him. You two used to be so close and now you guys really don't talk to each other. It was just all of sudden and I don't know why." She said as she looked away from Kakashi.

It hurt Kakashi to hear these words come from her, but he didn't want to burden her with the truth of the fight between he and Obito. So he instead put on a smile. "I guess Obito and I just lost track of time, I'll head by his place soon and I talk to him. Don't worry Rin." He said.

"Ok thank you Kakashi that makes me feel better. I'm going to get some rest be careful." Rin said as she entered her house.

Kakashi watched her enter her house and then turn to look at the village. "I guess I know where I'm going next." He said to himself.