Ch. 12: Vet Examination

The vet came out and called for Eda and Odalia.

"Mrs. Blight, Ms. Clawthorne." The vet said.

"That's us." Eda said as they walked up to her.

"Follow me please." The vet said as she led them to her examination room in the back.

"So, you have a cat and an... otter from the Human world?"

"Yep. Don't ask how but I've got my ways." Eda said, even though the original portal gone now.

"Well, put the cage on the table and let them out so I can see them."

Odalia nodded to the vet as she moved the cage to the table, setting it down and opening the cage.

"Mittens, Otty. Come here girls." Odali said softly to them.

Amity and Luz came out and stretched a little.

The vet looked over the two animals, mainly Luz/Otty since she had never seen an Earth otter before.

"She's... small."

"That's natural. She's just a baby otter, I read it from one of my old books I got from the human world." Eda said.

"She also told me Earth otters don't eat souls, so that's good." Odalia said to the vet.

"And they don't have laser vision." Eda said, "Their teeth are pretty sharp though."

"Mm-Hmm." The vet said as she checked Luz's teeth, "Well, these teeth look good. Very healthy. Her coat is healthy too, no missing patches or shedding."

Luz chirped in glee. The vet had to remain professional and not find Luz adorable.

'Personal note, human otters are much cuter.' The vet thought before she turned to Amity/Mittens for her evaluation.

"She seems to be healthy, a little underweight for her size, though."

'Underweight?' Amity thought, for some reason feeling offended by this.

"Her coat is good and she seems to be doing alright." The vet said, "Now, I assume they haven't had their shots yet?"

'Shots?' Luz and Amity suddenly thought, wide eyes and ears perked.

"No. We just got them, I'm afraid." Odalia said.

"Well, I need to give them a few then." The vet said.

The vet turned around to get the shots as the girls turned to Eda and Odalia, shaking their heads rapidly for denial of the shots! Eda and Odalia quickly grabbed Luz and Amity so they couldn't escape.

"Calm down, Otty. It's just a shot, it will only hurt for a second." Eda said to her.

'I don't even like shots when I was human!' Luz thought as she tried to move but could.

Amity had a similar thought as she raised her paws to draw a spell circle, but Odalia quickly scratched her chin to make her calm down.

'Curse you, chin scratches!' Amity thought as her fear was being forced down.

"Good thinking." Eda said as she began scratching Luz to calm her down.

The two animals couldn't help but make happy noises until they felt something poke them in their hind legs.

"There we go. Excellent work distracting them by the way." The vet said to them with a nod.

"No problem, we knew these two wouldn't like this." Odalia said.

"Yeah, they can be rather jumpy at time." Eda said as she held Luz's gently.

'It hurts even more as a cute animal.' Luz thought, whimpering in pain.

"It's okay, Otty, it's over." Eda said.

Odalia was holding Amity/Mittens gently as she almost shed a tear from the pain.

'This spell can't wear off soon enough.' She thought.

"You were very good Mittens, I'll make sure to give you a couple of treats when we get home." Odalia said.

At least that would make it better, somewhat.

Luz whimpered at Amity.

"Doesn't look like they're ready to leave each other." Eda said.

"Well, I suppose a play date would be nice after an experience like this. Would you like to watch them, or should I?" Odalia asked as she put Amity into the carrier.

"I can watch them for the day. You can take it easy." Eda said as she put Luz in the carrier next to Amity, letting them nuzzle snuggle again.

Eda took the carrier from Odalia.

"I will pick her up later." Odalia said.

"Got it. Just give me a call when you're on the way." Eda said as she turned to leave.

"Before you go, here's the bill." The vet said as she came back with a bill, giving it to Odalia.

Odalia looked to see Eda already flying away.

"I should've expected that."