Chapter 1

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked in disbelief.

"Can I take you out on a date?" He asked again.

It had taken me a moment to compose myself after the first time he asked. He had appeared out of nowhere, causing me to practically choke on my stale cafeteria pizza.

He was tall and handsome. Dirty blonde hair that complimented his lightly tanned skin. He had a sharp jawbone but a broad chin. Freckles lightly dusted his cheeks and nose. They brought out his beautiful caramel eyes.

Definitely handsome.

"Sorry, I guess this is kind of out of the blue," He chuckled lightly as he rubbed the back of his neck, "I just... I've seen you around school and I think you're really beautiful, and I'd like to get to know you."

I watched as he nervously fidgeted and was unable to speak. I was completely stunned that such a handsome guy would even look my direction, let alone think I was beautiful.

I finally shook my initial shock off and cleared my throat, "What did you have in mind?"

His smile got a bit wider, "I was thinking mini golf?"

I couldn't stop a grin from creeping onto my face, "Sounds fun."

"R-Really?" He stuttered excitedly, "How about Friday? I'll pick you up at 6?"

I nodded, "It's a date."

The already enormous smile on his face somehow grew larger.

"Great!" he beamed, "I'm Nick, by the way, I guess we didn't exchange names, huh?"

I giggled, "Veronica, but you can call me Ronnie. It's nice to meet you, Nick."

I extended my hand, and he accepted the offer. He had a strong grip - something my dad would say is a sign of a real man – and his hands were dry but still soft.

"Nice to meet you."

We held eye contact for a moment before he turned on his heel to walk back to his table. I began to take another bite of pizza when his figure reappeared in my peripheral.

"I forgot to ask for your number,"

He had his head hung in embarrassment.

"Oh, of course! Here, let me see your phone,"

He quickly pulled his phone out of his pocket and handed it to me with a new contact already pulled up. I typed in my number and handed it back to him.

"Thanks, Ronnie. I'll text you." He said, the grin on his face never faltering.

I watched him leave for a second time, taking a breath once he was gone for good.

"Did that... really just happen?" A high-pitched voice came from beside me.

"It did." I confirmed, even though I was in disbelief as well.

I turned to Reagan, who had been sitting next to me during Nick and I's entire exchange.

"Ronnie, you just got asked out on a date by a 10." She said, staring in Nick's direction.

I sighed in content. This was exactly how I dreamed of starting my junior year of high school. Reagan and I had spent the summer watching all the romantic comedies that ever existed. We had always been a bit boy crazy, but my love life was pretty lack luster. The closest I had ever come to having a boyfriend (or even just a date, for that matter) was in eighth grade when Eli Porter had asked to hold my hand on the bus. I had always thought things would change for me when I entered into high school. More boys meant more opportunities, right?