Chapter 20

"Are you crying?" she asked, sitting next to me.

Her skin was glistening from sweating on the dancefloor. I tried not to stare at her, but it was hard not to. I was never prepared for how gorgeous she always looked.

"No, I'm fine," I said, quickly wiping under my eyes, being carful not to smear my make-up.

"You don't look fine." She said, brushing a stray hair behind my ear.

I shivered under her touch, averting my eyes. I knew if I looked at her all I would be able to do is think about kissing her.

"Is it Nick?" she asked.

"No, no. it's nothing honest. I'm okay." I reiterated.

She looked at me with a sympathetic smile, "Look, I know I said I would kill you if you hurt him, but the same goes for you too now. If he hurts you I will beat his ass."

I chuckled, my heart pounding in my chest, "Thanks, but there is no need for that."

"okay," she smiled, "Do you want to be alone?"

I shook my head, "Actually, do you want to dance?"

She rolled her eyes but still gave me a warm smile, "Sure, you dork."

She took my hand in hers, leading me back to the dancefloor. The slow song from earlier was either still playing, or the dj played two in a row. Once we were on the floor, Kendall rested her hands on my waist delicately as if she was afraid to touch me. I placed my hands around her neck. We swayed in sync to the music. It was a bit awkward at first. We kept our distance, a good-sized gap between us. I was afraid if we got any closer she'd hear my heart hammering through my chest.

Her eyes twinkled in the fairy lights, staring deep into mine. Our bodies slowly gravitated closer and before I knew it we were basically hugging. I rested my head on her chest, and rested her's against my temple. I could hear her heart, beating just as fast as mine. I inhaled the scent of rain and honey, letting it calm my own racing heartbeat.

"You look really beautiful tonight," she whispered.

Her warm breathe made my skin tingle. I pulled back a bit to look up into her eyes. She had an unreadable expression.

"You do too," I hummed.

The song ended but we stayed pressed together. It seemed as though our bodies melted together. Both of us had flushed cheeks.

"I should go find Zach," she said after clearing her throat.

"R-right, me too... I mean Nick. I should find Nick." I stammered.

We stayed still for a beat longer before releasing each other. I averted my gaze, knowing I wouldn't move if I kept staring at her. I scanned the room for Nick. He was by the punch bowl, chatting with Vaughn.

Great.

"There's Nick. I'll see you...around..." I stuttered, unsure how to walk away.

I didn't want to. I wanted to stay there with her, dance to another song. If I could keep her away from Zach, maybe they wouldn't have sex. I mentally slapped myself. It was none of my business.

I left her, approaching Nick and Vaughn. I rested my hand on the small of Nick's back, gaining his attention.

"Hey, babe." He beamed.

"Hey, sis." Vaughn greeted.

"Boys," I smiled.

"I should get back to my friends, see you around," Vaughn said, tipping his cup of punch to us.