Chapter 4

How was it possible that I felt nothing? Nick was absolutely wonderful. He was easy to talk to, kind, handsome, yet I had an empty pit in my stomach when I kissed him. This was nothing like the books and movies made relationships seem like.

If that wasn't something to worry over, I also had so many questions about Kendall lingering in the back of my mind. She was the last person I should be thinking about. But, like a cat with a death wish, I had far too much curiosity. How did she get the nickname? It was honestly adorable, and it irritated me that I wasn't allowed to call her it. Somehow, I felt like calling her Bird made her less scary. I also wanted to know why she was so angry all the time. She wasn't even that nice to Nick or Zach.

I finally drifted off around midnight, allowing myself to get a little shut eye before having to wake up early for school. I woke up with enough time to shower and dress somewhat decent for school. It had been a while since I felt like I needed to put effort into my attire. But with a potential budding romance, I felt it necessary to dress nicely.

As I left the house my brother followed closely behind me.

"Mornin'," he said, matching his stride with mine.

"Morning." I replied simply.

We climbed into my car, and I started the engine. I gave Vaughn a ride to school almost every morning. He refused to ride with Tori and my parents were normally gone before us.

We sat in silence for a bit before he spoke up, "So how were the dates?"

I sighed, trying to remind myself that Vaughn wasn't trying to pry the way Tori did.

"They were good. Nick is pretty nice." I said simply.

"Yeah, I figured you guys would hit it off. He seems like your type." He shrugged.

"Yeah? And what do you think my type is?" I asked with an arched eyebrow.

"I don't know. I figured tall, handsome." He said nonchalantly.

"Wow, how very specific." I laughed.

"Shut up," he laughed while rolling his eyes, "Did you guys make out?"

"I'm not talking to you about that,"

"It's fine, I'll just get it out of Nick later."

I sighed, "We kissed a couple times. Nothing crazy."

"That's good, I'm glad he's being respectful at least."

"Since when do you care?"

"Hey, just cuz you're my older sister doesn't mean I can't look out for you. God knows mom, dad, and Tori don't. At least not our best interests anyway." He pointed out.

It was a good point too. A lot of times I felt like Vaughn was the only family member I could actually talk to. My parents basically held us on a pedestal. So long as our image and reputation were spotless, they couldn't care less about our personal lives. At least not in a way that made you feel cared for. Tori had the same mentality, only she didn't care at all. All she wanted was to remain the golden child. If you told her anything it was only a matter of time before everyone in the world knew too.

"Fair," I sighed.

"Do you think you will keep going out with him?" he asked, resting his head in his hand and his elbow on the window.

"I think so. I do like hanging out with him. I am a little scared of his cousin though." I admitted.

"Why? Who's his cousin?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows.