Chapter 3

I laid in my bed frowning at my ceiling for majority of the night. How had I felt nothing? Nick was a prefect gentlemen, we had lots in common, and not to mention he is handsome! He checks off all the boxes of pretty much every teenage girl ever. Yet I felt nothing.

It was a short kiss, granted. Maybe my expectations were too high. Up until now I had never had a relationship, let alone a first kiss. The only references I had was movies and books. I'm not an idiot (well not about this anyway) I know that media oversells the romantic feelings. But I figured at least some of it had to be true.

Sometime around 1:00am my brain shut off long enough for me to sleep. When I woke up I was greeted by a "good morning beautiful" text from Nick. It was a sweet gesture, but only reminded me of the lack luster kiss we had shared.

I replied simply: Good morning yourself.

Clearly, I sucked at flirting.

I made my way upstairs to find my sister set at the table eating an omelet. I ignored her as I rummaged through the cabinets for a box of cereal.

"Wow, not even a good morning for your favorite sister?" she spoke with a hurt tone.

I rolled my eyes as I snatched the lucky charms out of the cabinet and tossing them on the counter.

"You are my only sister." I snarked.

"There for: your favorite."

I didn't have to look at her to know she had an amused smirk on her face. 

I continued about my business looking for the rest of the supplies for cereal.

"You're really going to make me pry it out of you?" She asked.

"Can we not do this?" I sighed, pouring the lucky charms into a bowl.

"Deflect all you want but I will get it out of you." She shrugged, taking a sip from her mug.

Somehow, she made drinking coffee seem pretentious.

"Don't act like you actually care, Tori. You just want something to gossip about." I said as indifferent as I could manage.

I uncapped the milk and poured it into my bowl then replaced it in the fridge.

"That's not true, little sis!" She said in a babyish pitch and a ridiculous pout on her face.

It made my insides burn when she talked to me in that tone. I grabbed my bowl and retreated back into the basement before she could get another word out. I couldn't stand her.

To my parents she was the golden child. Perfect in every way. She used that to her advantage every chance she could. Their constant praise and admiration had given her entitlement. And with that came audacity.

I checked my phone again once I was settled into my bed. Nick had sent another message.

10:15am: So, I was wondering if you wanted to go bowling with Me, Zach, and Kendall tomorrow around 5?

I stared at my phone in disbelief and terror. That was fast. He already wanted to go on another date. Was it even a date? If he was bringing his friends then it was more of a hang out, right? I liked Nick – lackluster kiss aside – but was I really ready to commit to an entire afternoon around him, Satan and Satan's boyfriend?

Kendall had made it very clear that she wanted nothing to do with me yesterday. That's not even counting the amount of torment she had put me through last year. I doubt that she would even tolerate an afternoon with me. At least not without trying to make me look like a dumbass in front of her cousin. One thing I knew for absolute certain: she was a fan of having an audience.