Chapter 40

The days that followed Kendall and I's public outing were the most stressed I had ever been in my life. Mom refused to allow me back at school – which, I didn't mind as much. I was in no hurry to get back there. I wanted to hold off facing the entire student body (that now knew my sexuality) for as long as possible. But that wasn't the stressful part.

I hadn't heard from Kendall since she and Quinn left my house Tuesday. It was now Friday. Two and a half days. Two and a half days with no word of if she was okay. She didn't answer any calls or texts and I was beginning to worry. My thoughts were running rampant with worse case scenarios. She was dead. She was shipped off to a conversion camp. Her and Quinn moved to a new state and thought it best to not tell me. Reagan was right and she didn't actually love me and was trying to get Zach out of trouble.

I had tried going to her apartment but every time I knocked on the door there was no answer. Not even a noise to suggest someone was home. Neither a police cruiser nor Quinn's red Tahoe sat in the parking lot.

Defeated, I laid in my bed, staring at my phone with my message thread to Kendall sitting open. I felt helpless staring at the string of unanswered texts, praying that at any second, I'd see three little dots pop up. Instead, I heard my name being called from upstairs.

"Ronnie, you have a visitor!"

I didn't hesitate to fly up the stairs as fast as my feet would carry me. My stomach flipped at the thought of Kendall being at the door.

When my feet hit the landing, I turned to see my guest. My smile fell and my stomach twisted into a knot.

"What are you doing here?" I couldn't hide my disappointment.

"Thank god you're okay," Reagan said as she approached me.

She brought her arms up to hug me. I didn't stop her, but I didn't hug her back either. Partly from shock of her being in my house, but mostly because I was still mad at her. Maybe she was here to apologize for being wrong.

"I'm fine." I said as she retracted her arms.

We stood awkwardly in the entryway. We both fidgeted as we waited for the other to speak. My patience was thin from worrying about Kendall, so I finally sighed, "Not to be rude, Reagan, but why are you here?"

"Can we talk in private?" she asked, tilting her head at Tori who had been watching our encounter with crossed arms.

Tori looked Reagan up and down in disgust before looking at me, "Holler if you need me."

She threw one more nasty glare at Reagan before retreating to her room upstairs.

I gestured to the sitting room to the side of the entry way. Reagan had a slight look of surprise but ultimately sat on the couch that almost never got used. I was sure she would have wanted to be invited to my room, but there was no way I was letting her back in my sacred space with the animosity between us. I sat across from her in one of our formal armchairs.

"Is Tori like – pretending to be nice after what happened?" she asked.

The questioned irritated me. She hasn't talked to me in months, other than our encounter at the mall. How dare she act like she still knows me and my relationship with my family.

"What do you want, Reagan?" I snapped.

"I just wanted to make sure you didn't get shipped off to some crazy church camp or something. I thought for sure your parents would have heard about..." she looked around the corner before lowering her voice, "you being gay."

"I told them." I shrugged.

"Oh," she said, sitting up a bit straighter, "How'd they take it?"

"Fine,"