Chapter 34

"Can you pass me the glue stick?" Nick asked as he decided on where to place one of our bullet points.

We had spent two hours after school, working on our project. I had bought a posterboard and some art supplies to decorate for our presentation. We had finished majority of the research and were now focused on the visual part.

I reached for the glue stick next to my leg and tossed it toward Nick. He caught it easily with one hand, nodding his thanks.

The entire time we worked we kept conversations on topic of the project. I wanted to ask how he was doing. I wanted to know how he was feeling about Kendall and I's relationship. More than anything I wanted to know how he knew about her feelings for me. As far as I knew, he had no idea about Kendall's sexuality or her past. She had kept that part of her life completely to herself. He had even admitted that he was wrong about her sexuality when she started dating Zach. 

My phone buzzed in my pocket as we finished the final touches. I dug it out to see Kendall's name lighting up the screen. I swiped the message.

Kendall 5:23pm: Are you almost done? I'm wasting away over here...

I rolled my eyes, but was unable to contain the smile that tugged at my lips.

Ronnie 5:24pm: So impatient!

Ronnie 5:24pm: We are almost done, I'll be there soon

"That Kendall?" Nick asked, looking up at me.

He was sprawled out on the floor next to me, bolding the letters at the top of the board.

"Yeah, I'm supposed to pick her up after we get done here," I said feeling a faint blush rising in my cheeks.

Nick slowly nodded his head, "I'm glad you guys worked it out,"

He sounded sincere but there was still a hint of anguish clouding his voice. My lip twitched in a remorseful smile.

"Thanks to you," I said finally.

"I just nudged her in the right direction. That's all." He shrugged.

"How did you know?"

He dipped his head, avoiding my eyes, "I didn't... I just –" he shook his head, "When you told me what she called you I was so mad. I went over to her apartment that night to chew her out."

"Nick," I gasped.

"I know, but I was furious!" he sat up, crossing his legs, "It didn't matter though, the second she saw me she broke down crying. I asked her what was going on with her and she told me everything. About her last school and what happened with her parents." He sighed, "Then she told me about you,"

"Me?" I pressed, my curiosity getting the better of me.

He let out a hollow laugh, "Yeah." He paused, pursing his lips for a moment before continuing, "I don't know if you remember, but one of our first conversations I mentioned I had liked you for a while. And then you told me about being the soccer team manager. And I was upset Kendall hadn't introduced us sooner."

I nodded, "I remember."

"Well," he swallowed, "turns out she didn't introduce us because she didn't want us dating. She said she didn't want me dating someone she liked and didn't want to get close to you and have her crush become unmanageable. Then when you confessed, she panicked and pushed you out... because of her past and for fear of hurting me. Anyway, I told her she needed to tell you all of that. And when you told me she hadn't spoken with you at all, I trapped her in your car with you."

I smiled at the memory of Nick fireman carrying Kendall through the parking lot, "That's a little more than a nudge," I pointed out.

He rolled his eyes and shrugged indifferently, "Yeah, well sometimes a nudge for Kendall is more like a kick in the ass."