Chapter 9

My eyes fluttered open before I slowly closed them again, snuggling into the warm mass behind me. I sighed in content, trying to remember when Reagan snuck into my room.

Wait a minute.

My eyes shot open as my memories flooded back. I carefully removed Kendall's arm from my waist and shimmied out of bed. I moved slowly to keep from waking her. I wasn't sure what time it was, but the muffled sound of singing birds seeping through the walls informed me it was early.

I crept quietly out of my room and up the stairs. I was hit with the smell of pancakes as I emerged from the basement. My mom was stationed at the stove, pouring a bowl of pancake batter into a skillet. She glanced at me when she heard the door shut.

"Morning, Veronica. You got in late last night." She smiled at me.

So, we had woken her up, I mentally scolded myself.

"Yeah, sorry if we woke you." I said as I approached the island, taking a seat on one of the stools.

"It's fine." She hummed, "Is Reagan still sleeping?"

"Reagan?" I asked, raising my eyebrow.

"Isn't that her car parked up front?" She asked looking up from her cooking.

Oh shit.

"Uh, yeah... but she isn't...here." I stammered, trying to stall as I figured out an excuse as to why her car was here but not her.

"Then why is her car here? And who did I hear come in with you last night?" she asked giving me a sterner look.

"Uhm, Kendall... she's a girl on the soccer team." I said, racking my brain for an explanation.

"Veronica, what is going on?" She said putting her spatula down and giving me her full attention.

I sighed, realizing there was no way I was getting out of this one, "I didn't actually go to a team building exercise yesterday. I went to a party with Reagan."

"What?!" she shouted, causing me to wince, "What kind of party?"

I felt my throat starting to close up. I always struggled holding in my emotions whenever my parents confronted me.

"Just some kid in my class, his parents are out of town, and he threw a party, so I went with Reagan and Nick. I didn't drink anything though, I swear!"

The words left my mouth rapidly. My mom brought her hand to her forehead, rubbing it slightly before resting her hand over her mouth. She stayed like that for a moment before speaking again, "And the girl in the basement?"

"Nick's cousin. She had a little too much to drink and I didn't know where else to bring her." I said, swallowing the lump in the back of my throat.

"And you didn't drink anything?" she raised her eyebrow.

I shook my head, "Nothing, honest!"

"Where did Reagan end up?" she asked.

"She stayed with her boyfriend." I said.

Truthfully, I had no idea where she was. I felt a wave of guilt wash over me as I remembered I had completely abandoned her at a frat house without a car. Some best friend I was.

"I am happy to hear that you made smart decisions and that you helped a friend in need; However, I'm extremely upset you lied about where you were. We are definitely not done talking about this." She warned, "In the meantime, you might as well grab a water bottle from the fridge and some Tylenol and take them down to your friend."

The word made me flinch. If Kendall were up here, she would have corrected her immediately.

"Yes ma'am." I said solemnly.