11

They've got off of the snowy mountain, and now walked the rocky road to the entrance of the mines. 

Veryan walked past Gandalf and Frodo, and overheard the Grey Wizard telling Frodo to trust in himself. He glanced at them for only a second, catching the eyes of Frodo. The two toned male smiled at the Hobbit and continued to walk next to Legolas, leaving Gandalf and Frodo to talk among themselves. 

The two lovers stopped side by side whilst Gimli pointed twords a huge mountain. "The walls of Moria"

~~~~~~~~~~

"Dwarf doors are invisible when closed" Gimli told the group as he hit his hammer against the rocky walls, trying to hear any change in sound.

The corners of Veryan's lips lifted as he thought about what Gimli said. He might of not seen the doors to the Misty Mountain open, but he heard enough stories of Thorin's to understand just how difficult it was to find them.

"Their own masters cannot find them if their secrets are forgotten" Gandalf added on, doing the same Gimli did.

"Why does that not surprise me?" Legolas mumbled to Veryan, who could only hit the Prince's shoulder, chuckling. 

The young Wizard looked back and made eye contact with Gimli, smiling as he did so. He made sure Legolas was in front of him before leaning down and whispering to Gimli. "Don't mind him. I knew your father. He was a great man, they all were"

At this Gimli looked down, a low chuckle escaping him as he once again knocked against the rock covered walls. "He spoke of you. Never thought I'd get the chance to meet you, Master Veryan"

Veryan snorted and raised back up, his hand going to rub his arm. "I hope your not left disappointed"

Gimli looked up at the young male. He just stared at him for a second or two, before looking back down, shaking his head. "No, can't say I am"

Veryan sighed and his hand dropped to his side. Good to know Gloin still thought of him as a friend. 

The group then stopped. Veryan made his way beside's Legolas once again and looked at where Gandalf was looking. He touched along the wall as he spoke under his breath. He then turned around and looked up at the moon. The clouds moved out of the way, and the moon shone down on all of them, lighting up a hidden door on the stone wall.

Gandalf smiled in triumph. Then, with his staff, he pointed out words written on the door. "It reads 'The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter' "

"What do you suppose that means?" Merry spoke up, asking Gandalf.

Without looking back at the Hobbit Gandalf replied. "It's simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors will open"

The Grey Wizard pressed his staff against the middle of the door, and spoke. "Gate of the Elves, open now for me!" and yet, when he pulled his staff away nothing really happened.

He tried again. "Doorway of the dwarf-folk listen to the word of my tounge" but nothing happened once again.

Veryan and Legolas quickly glanced at one another before looking down at Pippin. "Nothing's happening"

"We can see as much" Veryan mumbled down to the Hobbit as Gandalf went to try and push on the door.

"I once knew every spell in all the tongues of Elves, Men and Orcs" Gandalf spoke, more to himself than the others.

"What are you going to do, then?" Pippin asked again. He really was just being curious.

"Knock your head against these doors, Peregrin Took!" Pippin looked down in a bit of shame. Veryan placed a comforting hand on the other's shoulder as Gandalf continued. "And if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will try to find the opening words"