THREE

You returned home the next evening after holding the funeral of your mom. You were not able to think straight.

Climbing the stairs, you reached your apartment but instead of unlocking it, you crouched in front of the door. You lost all of your strength. Your head leaned against the door and tears again made their way out of your eyes.

"It's my fault. I was not a productive child. I couldn't take care of her." You said to yourself while burying your head in between your knees.

The atmosphere was getting chilly but you could worry less about that. You felt miserable.

So, you're officially an orphan now. Your father never bothered to even ask your whereabouts. The only person you had was your mom, who had to run away to keep you safe. Your life was not too good but this happening made it worse.

"Sorry mom. I failed to protect you." You mumbled wrapping your arms around your shoulder.

"Topper of the university failed pathetically once again." A bitter chuckle left your mouth by the end of your sentence. The cascade of tears followed after that and your sobs weren't calming down too.

You heard faint noises in the background but your mind was still stuck on your irrevocable loss.

"Y/n?"

You looked up with swollen eyes, wiping your tears only to find your new professor staring at you wide-eyed.

"Oh, I'm so sorry Mr. Jeon. I was just getting in. Sorry to bother you." You apologized and bowed several times.

"Wait! Are you crying?" He asked the stupid question even after looking at your swollen eyes and fresh tears. It was as clear as a day that you were crying!

"Of course not. I'll get going now." You lied on his face and got inside your apartment.

A WEEK LATER

"Where were you since the past week?" Namjoon asked sitting beside you.

"I didn't feel well so I took off." You lied.

"Such a bad liar. Swollen eyes and still lying? The audacity! You can tell me Y/n." He said side-hugging you.

"There's nothing to worry about. I just tripped while showering and the pain was too much to not cry." You smiled.

"You won't budge, right? Tell me if it really does bother you." He said patting your shoulder several times and you nodded.

"Y/n!" Bong Soon and Taehyung both called out your names at the same time. You looked at them and found them staring at each other dumbfounded.

"Where were you yesterday?" Again both of them questioned you at the same time making you chuckle.

"I tripped and got hurt. So, I took off." You lied on their faces and they nodded but the only person who was suspicious of you was Namjoon. He didn't believe your lie.

The day passed with you attending classes and missing your dead mom every now and then. When she abandoned you and ran, you didn't miss her that much but now that you know you'll never hear her voice and never get to see her again, you seem to miss her a lot.

"Y/n, what is it? Tell me." Namjoon said breathing heavily. Gosh! He ran all the way here to your apartment, just to make sure you're fine.

"My god, Joonie! Get inside. You're sweating real bad in the winters." You gasped and dragged him inside. You poured him a glass of lukewarm water and sat beside him. He drank it in a single gulp and looked at you with curious eyes.

"What?" You asked.

"You're up to something. Tell me." He said. He's intelligent and you know that but he caught your lie.
You sighed knowing you can't do anything now.

"I lost my mom in a car accident." You told looking down.

"My god! And you lied on my face! I'm so sorry for your loss." He said looking away.

"I got to see her after so long and that too, her dead body. My fate loves to play me!" You chuckled in sarcasm wiping off the tear droplet.

"Hey, I can't imagine how horrible you feel but I'm here to help you in any way I can. I don't have words but please know that I'm here for you. I care for you. You don't have to feel lonely. If you want to cry, cry in front of me. I'll make sure to pat your back until your last tear. I'll wipe all your tears without getting tired. I'm always a phone call away and if you wish, I can move to your place for some time." He said pulling you in a warm and comforting hug. You didn't plan to cry but his words made you break down, right in front of him.

You didn't want to cry in front of him. You hated to look vulnerable in someone's eyes. But the way his words soothed your pain, you couldn't help but cry and cry and cry.

"Don't worry. Time will heal things." He said patting your back while you continued to sob in his arms.

"Thank you Namjoon. I'm so grateful to have you as my best friend." You smiled pulling out of the hug. He smiled and wiped your cheeks lovingly.

"I always thought you're a stupid nerd like me but you're a way better human being than me. I'm jealous of you Joon!" You chuckled.

"Hey, that was mean." He whined and both of you broke into laughter.

He spent an hour with you, talking about different things. He was trying his best to divert your mind and you could feel that. He was a good friend of yours and you knew that but the Namjoon you met just now was a whole different person. He was so comforting, warm, loving, and caring.

"Bye Y/n. See ya tomorrow." He said and placed a slight peck on your forehead.

"Bye Joon." You waved at him with a bright smile.

"Mr. Jeon?" He gasped when he saw Jungkook coming upstairs.

"Are you one of my students too?" He asked without any interest.

"Yes sir. You live nearby?" He asked.

"Yeah. I live in the apartment right in front of you." Jungkook replied opening the door of his apartment.

"Oh. I'll leave." Namjoon said and quickly left.

Jungkook glanced at you and both of you shared awkward eye contact. Not being able to think anything, you just bowed at him and locked the door.

TO BE CONTINUED...