Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

I sat in the back of Jackson's Porche with Lydia and Jackson. Lydia wanted to spend more time with me, and told me that we'd have a movie night. Just us girls. With the expectation of Jackson. I didn't mind that Jackson tagged along, but, now that we're here and them arguing about stupid movies we should watch together, I'm wondering if it was a good idea in the first place.

We had pulled up outside a video store, and the couple is still arguing. "Hoosiers is not only the best basketball movie ever made, it's the best sports movie—"

"No." Lydia cuts him off, giving him a look.

"It's got Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper—" Jackson continued to argue.

"No." Lydia deadpans. "This is Paige's first time with us to watch a movie, we are not watching some stupid sports movie."

Jackson looked at me. "I swear to God you'll like it."

"No." Lydia glared at him.

"I—I don't mind." I shrugged, sitting awkwardly in the back. 

"See? She says she doesn't mind." Jackson gestured towards me. Lydia gives him a hard look. "I'm not watching The Notebook again!"

Lydia gives him another look before Jackson caved in. Sighing, Jackson exits the car roughly, before entering the video store.

"Trust me, I just saved you." Lydia tells me, turning to me in the passenger seat. "Have you seen The Notebook?"

"Once." I recalled. "When it came out in thearters. I don't really remember it, anyways, so it'll be good to rewatch it."

"Good, cause The Notebook is my favourite movie." Lydia gueshes. "What's your favourtie movie?"

"Probably Clueless." I answered back and she smiled widely.

"I like your taste. Next time, me, you, and Allison can watch Clueless. Okay?" Lydia tells me and I nodded. "Hey, you wanna get some cute photos?"

I shrugged. "Uh, sure." I leant forward, getting closer to Lydia's phone as she type in the camera app and opened it up. She began to take selfies of us, mutlpie.

"I want to post this on Instagram." Lydia smiled. "Ooh! Let's do a video, we have to always remember this moment. Movies can be like, our thing now." I nodded in agreement and as soon as Lydia hit record, she scowled. "Ugh, I got it on the wrong way—This phone is so shit, I need a new one—"

She lets out a horrfied scream as the store's plate glass window explodes. I also let out a scream, my eyes widening in shock. Fragments shower the lot as a black shape hurtles past Jackson's car. Lydia spins around with the camera phone still clutched in her hand, her wide eyes staring off through the window.

What the hell just happened?

"Oh, my God." Lydia spoke breathlessly. "Is Jackson okay?"

"I'll—I'll go check him out, okay? You stay here and call the damn cops." I spoke harshly and Lydia nods her head. The door of the car clicked opened, and I shakily stepped out. I could feel myself trembling.

I walked into the video store, my eyes widening at the scene. "Jackson...?" I called out softly, stepping past DVD cases strewn across the floor. "Jackson?"

I saw a hand jutting out from underneath an overturned shelf, causing me to jump in fear. Terrified, I approached carefully. Slowly reaching out, my own fingers trembling. "Don't." 

I shriek, turning sharply to see Jackson standing there, staring out the window. With an electric crackle, the lights flicker back on, I looked down to a blood-soaked carpet. My mouth falls open at the scene. What the fuck happened?