Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty-Four

"What are you guys doing here so late?"

I jumped at the voice of Deputy Tara Graeme as I head out of the classroom along with the rest of the music students. It was around 7.00 PM, and we were currently finishing up practice, and was about to head home.

"Practice for a recital tomorrow night," Danny informs Tara.

"Why? Something wrong?" I asked her softly, noticing her nervousness.

"You haven't seen anyone that shouldn't be around here, have you? Anyone or anything suspicious?" Tara questioned me and Danny as other students bypass us.

Danny and I glanced at each other, before shaking our heads. "There is something wrong, isn't there?" I asked.

"Someone made a 9-1-1 call. All of you need to leave now." Tara informed us and I nodded, my heart beating worriedly. "You see anyone else? Tell them the same thing."

Danny nods, and quickly, he leaves. I stayed put. "Deputy—"

"Paige, your father would kill me if he knew you're here with me." Tara tells me. "Please, just go home. Be safe. I'll be okay."

I felt guilty for thinking about leaving. "Can you make sure to tell me when you're okay?" I pleaded with her.

She frowned at my concern. "Paige, I'll be fine. Okay?" She placed a gentle hand on my shoulder. "Now, remember to finish your homework, which I know you have."

I smiled. Tara and I had history together. Whenever I was alone at the station with Stiles when we were younger, she would help us with our homework. "Okay. Just for you." I winked at her before turning to leave, having an uneasy feeling.

I noticed Danny waiting for me. "Is everything okay?" Danny questioned me as we walked to our cars, now heading out to the parking lot.

I shrugged. "I don't know. She wouldn't tell me, she just told me to leave."

"She'll be okay. She's a deputy." Danny assures me.

I give him a small smile. "I hope you're right." Danny walks me to my car. "Thanks, Danny."

"No problem. Drive home safe, yeah?" Danny tells me. "I'll see you tomorrow for the big production. And by the way, you're killing it on the piano, as you always do."

I grinned. "Thanks. You too. See you tomorrow, Dan." I opened the car door as Danny leaves. I sit in my car for awhile, listening to the police scanner I had plugged in.

"Dispatch, do you copy?" Tara's voice spoke over the police scanner. I grabbed it, holding it tightly and watching the school carefully. Other students cars drive by, leaving and I wait behind.

I hear a scream in the distance in the school. "Deputy?" I screamed into the police scanner, but I get no reply. My heart pounds rapidly. I climbed out of my car as quickly as I could and sprinted towards the school. I burst through the hallways, the hall being quiet. It sent shivers down my spine.

"Tara?" I called out, worried and I got no response. "Tara?!" I hear no heart beat in the school, making my heart pound. This was all my fault. I could've stopped this. If I hadn't had listened to her...

I continued to call out her name, searching all over the school.

My feet paused when I ran into Scott, Lydia, Stiles, and Allison outside, arguing. "Oh, no. I'm not doing that again. You find the dead body from now on." Lydia snapped at the group.

"Guys?" I called and they all jumped, turning to face me.

"What are you doing here?" Allison asked, her eyes widen.