Akriti - Cut in arm

Dr Akriti

"It's been such a tough day today. Lots of kids with huge tantrums. I wonder how the kids manage to do mischief when they are not well. How has your day been?" I spoke to my senior resident Dr Harsh while walking together at the hospital lobby.

Although he is senior to me, his nice behaviour makes me feel that he is just like a friend.

"Seems like you had a rough day today. Well mine was not. I got some well behaved teenagers as patients. It's pretty easy to manage them. I need to go to my next patient. Let's meet for snacks after sometime."

"Yup, let's meet." I replied as we entered 2 different exam rooms to check on our respective patients.

I enter the room and take a look at the chart that i was carrying.

Ayush T, Male, 9, here for regular checkup.

I sighed at my luck. Another kid of this age, not to forget a boy, most probably afraid of shots and thinks doctors only hurt and don't care at all.

Nevertheless i started checking him despite him not cooperating at all. His mother was trying to help but failing to do so. I managed to check him and prepare the prescription. But the main thing was still left, he needed a vaccine.

After explaining the medicines to his mother and fully explaining all the details, I prepared the shot without letting him know about it. I tried to give him the shot while distracting him with our talks but he was smart and figured it out.

So i had only one option left. We held him down with the help of the nurses and i gave him the injection which he didn't want to but was necessary. He was so angry at me as i gave him the injection forcefully.

I saw him coming towards me from the corner of the room where the instruments are kept. He was hiding something and before i could act he quickly cut my arm. I felt a huge pain in my left arm as i saw blood drops on the floor. I didn't know he would do something like this in revenge. The nurse quickly covered my hand with some cloth.

I could hear voices of different people as the room was spinning around.

"He made a cut in Dr Akriti's arm." A nurse spoke.

"We are sorry my boy Ayush shouldn't have done this." His mother spoke.

"Call Dr Harsh fast. There's so much blood." The nurse who held my hand spoke.

I couldn't answer anything. I just wanted to close my eyes.

"Don't close your eyes Dr. Akriti."

Dr Harsh

"It's a small shot. I promise it won't be very painful. Don't you think you can do it." I tried to convince the teenage girl sitting on the exam bed who needed an injection.

Nervously she nodded and did lie on her tummy. The nurse helped her to undress while i prepared the syringe.

"Just relax. It will be over soon." I spoke while wiping the area of the hip where i was going to inject.

"Take a deep breath and count till 5." I spoke and inserted the needle as soon as she took a deep breath.

She let out a whine.

"Count till 5. You are doing good." I praised her while pushing the medicine.

Thankfully I removed the needle before she hit 5. Pressing a cotton over the spot and rubbing it gently, i discarded the syringe.

After wishing her to get better soon and handling the prescription to her guardian, they left. So now it was time for snacks.

Just then Dr Akriti's assigned nurse came in to call me to check a patient. Why is she calling me, she should call Dr. Akriti and not me. Little did i know that Dr Akriti was the patient herself.