Nitya & her Dad

Nitya

"Mehak di, will you please make this diagram for me. You are good at drawing. I can't draw like you, " I asked her to help me.

"Ok, i will draw for you this time, but you have to learn to do it by yourself next time." Mehak di replied while taking the papers and started drawing.

I had to complete the school project by tonight as it was Avani's birthday tomorrow, and i had to submit this project the next day. I kept working on the project and Mehak di did a drawing for me when i noticed Dad coming back from the hospital.

"See the diagram is done. Check it and do the labeling." Mehak di passed me the sheet.

"You are such an artist."

"Both of you are so busy that you didn't even notice what I was doing. Hm Nitya seems like you aren't afraid of shots anymore." Dad said making me look up.

2 injection vials and 2 syringes along with wipes and cotton. I felt a pump in my throat seeing it.
I totally forgot Dad had told me that i was due for vaccines. I couldn't even tell him to postpone it as this was a postponed date already.

"Dad I have to finish my project. And also how will I go to Avani's b'day tomorrow if i take the vaccine." I begged him.

"Nitya you always have excuses not to take them. Last week also you had many excuses that's why i had to Postpone it but not now." Dad said in a stern tone.

"Dad pls i have to submit this project on Monday. How will I complete it with a sore arm. I promise I won't ask you to postpone it once again."

Dad thought for a while.

"This is the last time okay. Next week no excuses at all. Understand." He finished.

"Thank you Dad."

Sunday

I came back from Avani's b'day party 2 hours before. She had called us for lunch. Since then i felt like I was running a fever. My head hurts, as if all my energy was drained. This was all because i was awake till 2 am yesterday to complete my school project as i had to go out today. In addition i had icecreams and cold drinks at the b'day party too.

I was feeling like hell. My body was hurting so badly. I laid on my bed covered with a sheet. I was having chills too. I just prayed that Dad doesn't find out about my fever. I am scared of injections but i am also afraid of his doctor mode. I dare not oppose him when he says I need a shot. I had done this in the past and badly regretted it.

I heard conversations between Dad and Mehak di outside. Must be discussing why I am in the room. Seconds later I saw Dad standing at the doorway. Oh no. He will find out that i am unwell.

"You done with your project. How was your friends party. You got tired because of it?" Dad threw questions as he came near me.

"The party was good. My project is finished." I answered putting up all my energy so that he doesn't find out.

His eyebrows narrowed as he closely watched me.
His hands went on my forehead.
He is too quick to find out.

"Mehak get me a thermometer and my stethoscope." He yelled placing his fingers on my wrist.

"Yes Dad" We heard Mehak Di's voice.

"Why didn't you tell me about your fever"

"I was okay Dad. I thought I was just tired." I lied.

"Nitya I know you are afraid of needles. But that doesn't mean you will keep hiding about your illness from me. It takes a toll on your health. You are 14 now, almost grown up. You have to overcome your fear."

"Yes Dad i know but i just can't get used to needles so easily."

"Ok forget it now. Tell me what's wrong with you. I mean your symptoms."

I told him every single detail of my symptoms. Meanwhile Mehak di brought him what he had asked for and left.

"How did this happen so fast. You went to your friend's party. You were absolutely fine then ." He asked placing the stethoscope on my chest and listening intently.

I stayed silent for the time being also thinking about my answer. He sighed after removing it and asking me to sit up.

"Take deep breaths Nitya." He says placing it on my back and moving it to different spots.
This phase seems easy but becomes difficult at times. I tried to take as many deep breaths as he wanted before he had finished.

"You can lay down again and I am waiting for your answer."

"I was awake till late last night to complete the project. I also had ice cream and cold drinks at the party too." I told the truth.

"Nitya you know na you shouldn't have too many cold items. Once in a while is okay but not in excess. And doing school work is important but you should do it beforehand and in day time and not wake up till late. See you got yourself sick now."

I stayed silent knowing it was my mistake.

He didn't lecture me anymore and kept the thermometer in my mouth.

"102" he read after a while.

I had to go to school tomorrow. It was important as i had to submit the project. I couldn't miss it.

"Nitya i know you will say no. But this is important and i know you can't miss school tomorrow. So no arguing. I am going to bring the shot you need to take to become well again."

"But Dad you promised no shots this week." I tried my luck.

"The promise was for the vaccines dear and it still holds true. This injection is to reduce your fever. I know you very well understand this." He said and left to bring the shot.

He came back really fast holding the injection. I turned on my tummy knowing he was going to ask me to turn. Having dealt with this so many times.

"My little daughter has become smart." He says and starts to adjust my dress to access my bum.

"Nitya is really brave. She isn't afraid of this silly thing." He says applying the cold liquid over the spot.

"Of course I am afraid. Who told you I am not." I said as i immediately felt the prick of the needle.

"Show me your project later on. Mehak said you made it really nice." He says while injecting me.

This was painful as expected but i knew it was going to end soon. So i tried to bear it. Soon he pulled out rubbing it.

"I am proud of you Nitya." He says kissing my forehead after i layed on my back.

"Take a nap now. I will bring you something to eat after a while okay. Your fever will be gone really quickly,"

"My project is on that table. You may see it."

"Yes I will. But you take rest."

Next week - Friday - Post Dinner

As promised i had to take those 2 vaccines which were postponed. Dad was sitting beside me preparing the shots. This was scary.

"So Nitya 2 vaccines. Which one do you want first? One is the HPV vaccine, it's in the arm. The other is the annual flu vaccine it goes here." He says by pointing my bum.

"None of these" I joked.

"Nitya" he tried to say in an angry tone but couldn't hide his little smile.

"Ok ok the arm one first. What did you say about it. It's name H what?"

"It's called the HPV. It will prevent you from Cervical Cancer later on in life. Now look over there." He says as he wiped my upper arm.

I tried to look he injecting me as it was in the arm.

"I said look over there" Dad said in a strict tone.

I faced towards the wall where the achievements of both our sisters were hanging. Mehak di had won many for her drawing while i had for sports activities.

I was busy looking at the trophies when the
When i felt the pinch followed by stinging pain.

"You know you just skipped an injection by having this dose today." Dad said still injecting me.

"What do you mean? Ahh Ahh Dad pls take it out fast"

"Done" he says and takes out the needle and rubs it.

"What did you mean I skipped an injection?" I asked taking the cotton from his hand.

" The HPV vaccine recommends 2 doses for kids if they are 12-14 years of age. But it increases to 3 doses for 15 years old and above. You are 14 so you get just 2 doses." He finished explaining.

"Hmm okay."

I used to think that injections taken in the arm are not so painful. But it is not. The arm was paining a lot. Moreover it was just the 1st dose. I will need to take one more after a gap.

I saw Dad filing one more syringe. I didn't want it.

"Just one more. Nitya you are brave. Don't be scared."

He senses everything. He had already told me that it was in the back. So i turned on my side after adjusting my lowers.

"My little baby has grown up." He says cleaning the spot.

"That's not fair sometimes you say that i have grown up. And sometimes you reject by demands saying i am still a kid." I said when i felt the familiar pain of an injection.

There was silence at the moment.

Me trying to endure the pain. He continuing with his job.

"It's ok this happens with your age. You just enjoy your days now." He says finishing the injection and putting cotton.

I got up as both the shots were over. I wanted to watch some TV.

"Dad I want to watch TV"

" You just had 2 strong vaccines now. You need rest now. I am here till you sleep okay."

I closed my eyes as Dad said I need rest. I felt the presence of Mehak di.

"Both of you are my angels. I am blessed to have 2 such lovely daughters. I love you both." I heard Dad's voice while i was half asleep. Within minutes i was asleep.

As I had promised last year,  1 chapter on Dad and teenage daughter.

Hope you like it

Do vote comment and follow.

I still want to continue this book.  Give me clues, relationships, events or any other sequence. I will write a chap if I like it.