44. ronnie's truth

Song of the chapter is
Bare by Wildes

-43-
-Veronica D'Rosario-
-Present-

-43--Veronica D'Rosario--Present-

____________

tw: self harm

Delmore Police Station
1 December, 2030
5:12 pm

The screeching of the tires as the car came to a halt knocked me back to reality.

And once again, I sat at the back of a cop car, scared and confused.

Just like my 17 year old self.

Just like my 9 year old self.

It didn't quite make sense to me how I always seemed to find my way back to the web of suspicion and guilt every once a decade.

As the officers slowly escorted me into the station, I heard another screech and looked back.

The rest of my friends had hoped on Moose's car and followed me all the way to here.

As I met his eyes, I could see a sense of worry for me in them. I drew a shaky breath before he disappeared from my sight again.

I walked with a firm, yet fearful stance towards the interrogation room where Detective Gomez was seated. His previously black beard now had a few white strands in between. His hair was totally grey, ridges and wrinkles evident on his face. His eye bags had worsened with age and yet, despite that, he still looked scary enough to make anyone shit their pants.

My breath hitched in my throat as I met his glowering eyes.

He extended the chair in front of him towards me. With shaky hands, I slowly pulled on the arm rest when suddenly, the door to the room burst open.

All the officers lunged at my friends to stop them from coming in when Detective Gomez interjected,

"Let them go."

I looked at him and then back at my friends, who stood dumbfounded and confused.

"Why did you bring into her questioning?" Moose enquired.

"Good to see you too, Himanshu." Detective Gomez responded in a brooding voice. "It's been a while."

"It sure has." Moose retorted with gritted teeth. "And now we're not the same kids that you once terrorized for your gratification. Now tell us why you brought her here for questioning!"

Detective Gomez looked at him in a passive way and said calmly, "I just have a few questions I need to ask Ms. D'Rosaio."

"Why just her? Why not all of us?" Kartik asked. "After all, all of us are on the suspects list, aren't we?"