61. hidden truths

Song of the chapter is
Wicked Game by Chris Isaak

-62-
-Veronica D'Rosario-
-Present-

-62--Veronica D'Rosario--Present-

___________

Malhotra Mansion
21 December, 2030
3:30 pm

"So who wants to go shopping with me?"

Zoya's question seemed to pierce through the coveted silence that was prevailing in Kartik's living room. All of us had one thing in mind.

Tonight was showdown.

Despite being "adults", the six of us were feeling the weight of each other's vulnerability through and through. It was almost like we were in a shared silent agreement. The kids in us were scared, and perhaps so were are our present selves.

The common question lingered.

What if this was it?

What if this was truly the last day that the six of us were going to be together like this? What if these really were the last moments of our lives? What if tomorrow didn't bring hope?

What if tomorrow didn't exist for one or more of us?

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat as I felt Moose squeeze my hand tightly. I shared a glance with him as he said to Zoya, "I'll take you."

"I'll come with." I added.

A silence followed Zoya's curt nod before Kartik spoke, "You do know you have to shop for weapons, right? Not lipsticks and heels."

His attempt at lightening the mood seemed to have had an effect as Zoya flipped him the bird in response and the rest of us chuckled softly at the response.

"I'm just saying...." Kartik said, grinning. "You girls often lose yourself when it comes to shopping. Right babe?"

He asked turning to Siya but she seemed to be in her own world.

"Siya?"

"Huh." As her train of thoughts were interrupted, I saw nervousness flash in in her face. "Sorry, what did you say?"

"Nothing." Kartik dismissed, realising Siya's state. "It was nothing."

Siya nodded softly. Zoya and I exchanged a glance.

"Alright then, let's get going." Zoya piped as she stood up and brushed her skirt. "You have to buy me icecream on the way back, Himanshu."

"And why would I do that?" Moose asked, raising a brow.

Zoya tilted her head to the side. "If this truly is my last day on earth, are you seriously gonna deny me my death wish?"

"Gosh you're so dramatic." Saina commented. Zoya gave her a pout.