49. (ii) lavender haze

Song of the chapter is
K by Rosie Carney

-50-
-Veronica D'Rosario-
-Present-

-50--Veronica D'Rosario--Present-

___________

Arora Residence
7 December, 2030
9:56 am

Slowly my consciousness awoke out of a deep sleep.

As I got aware of my body I felt a faint breeze of the chill Delmore morning air that came through the slightly opened window. Just as I opened my eyes to spread my awareness even further, I realized that the untouched morning sky was still covered in the shadows of the night.

Minute by minute the sun-rays awakened the colors in his room to life, uncovering even the corners where the darkest shadows of the now gone night still lingered.

In the soft white-gold light of the new day, the hues of his bedroom move from impressionist pastels to brilliant pop art.

As I gently turned around, I saw his brunette hair next to me. My mind couldn't help, but go to a place of wondering why it was so rare to see him waking up next to me.

Leaving this question unanswered, I let myself fall into the moment, remembering the night we spent together; I smiled.

I felt the warmth of his body next to me. His messy, sun-kissed curls looked like an invitation for my fingers to play with it. He snored softly, his back slowly rising up and down as he breathed. He looked like the embodiment of peace and tranquility.

If I could capture this moment in a snowball and have it exist forever, I would.

I traced my fingers around his bare back, drawing circles around the corner as softly as one could, making sure he doesn't wake up. His eyelids fluttered once or twice, but never opened. And for that, I was glad.

Was I dreaming?

Ever since my scrawny thirteen year old self had laid eyes on him, I had dreamt of this moment; this exact moment. Waking up next to him, feeling safe and loved by him, and having him just exist; I had dreamt of this. During times when I had almost felt like giving up, all I had thought of was him. He was faith, he was hope, he was everything.

Had always been.

I concentrated on his face as one of his unruly curls fell on his eyes as he moved slightly. A small smile graced my face. I grazed my fingers over it and tucked it away from his face.

The serenity, the tranquility of this moment, would I ever get it back?

I felt conflicted. I didn't want to wake up if this actually was a dream.

But then the sun's rays got stronger by the moment, stinging my eye slightly as they escaped through the blinds and fell on my eyes. Hesitantly, I slowly moved away from his warmth and got up from bed.