25. How Many Croissants Can You Eat?

Charlie's POV

Day One in Paris

It was irritating me that I had no idea what was on today's itinerary. I've always preferred to know what was happening beforehand. Everything in my life is planned, well, mostly.

"You will be split into four groups, please do not go wandering off on your own. Vice Principal Kirke and I are trusting all of you. Also, I will give each group my phone number, so if there is any trouble, please call."

They're letting us wander off without supervision? Is that even legal?

"Can we choose our groups?" Ella wondered.

"Sure, but each group needs to be made up of seven students." Miss Saunders smiled.

"Dibs on Charlie and Clayton!" Ella blurted out, causing Tom to pout.

"What about me?"

"And you, of course." Ella blew her boyfriend a kiss.

"Can I join?" Ryan wondered, looking directly at me.

Did he want me to answer him?

"Of course!" Ella said.

His eyes were still on mine, as if he was waiting for me to say that it was okay.

I decided to give him a friendly smile.

"We just need two more humans." Clayton stated, biting into whatever candy bar he was eating.

"Can we join?" Ace spoke from beside me, his arm around the shoulder of Jenna Warnick. Miss Saunders must've allowed her to attend also, seeing as she's not in our French class.

I didn't think that they knew each other.

"Yes! But I swear to god, if any of you ruin today's festivities, I will destroy you." Ella warned. The hairs on my arms stuck up beneath the sleeves of my t-shirt.

Foreign teenagers roaming the city with zero supervision was a recipe for disaster.

~

Due to my having to wear crutches, I remained behind the rest of the group. Ella and Tom were all lovey-dovey at the front, followed by Ryan who was then followed by Clayton. Both Ace and Jenna had stopped five minutes ago to have a cigarette, and to probably make out with each other.

Coming to Paris on crutches was a bad idea.

"Hi." Ryan had waited for me.

"Hi." I responded.

"So I uh, I came to your room last night." He said awkwardly.

"You did?" I must have already been asleep.

"Yeah."

"I must have been asleep."

"I, uh, wanted to talk to you." He kept his head down.

"Oh?"

"Stop!" Ella gasped, pointing towards a cafe.