62. New Me Day

Charlie's POV

It was the last day of the year.

I awoke this morning with a new mindset. No more quiet Charlie, no more caring what other people thought of me, more standing up for myself....

And a whole lot of change.

"I cannot believe that you are going to get your nose pierced!" Nora let out a gasp as we entered the body piercing shop on Main Street.

With my new mindset, I wanted to do a bunch of things I haven't done or was simply too afraid to do.

And it all started with getting my nose pierced.

"Believe it." I said, approaching the counter.

"Hi, what can I do for you today?" The lady asked.

"Can I please get a nose piercing?" I asked her politely.

I've always wanted to get my nose pierced, but I was too afraid of what my parents would do, and what other people would think about it. But I didn't care anymore.

"Sure thing." She smiled at me. "Go ahead and take a seat. I'll be with you shortly."

I complied.

To my surprise, I was not at all anxious about this. In fact, I was actually pretty excited, but that could just be a side effect of having a mental breakdown.

"Some customers ask for a anesthetic agent, but it would take some time-"

"I'm good, I don't need anything." I interrupted her, shifting into coziness.

Surely it won't hurt that bad, and even if it does. What doesn't kill you..

The lady pulled on some gloves and began disinfecting my left nostril. It tickled.

I closed my eyes, inhaled a soothing breath and released it .

For the first time in a long time, I felt serene, like I was standing on top of the world and nothing could drag me back down to earth. Again, probably just a side effect of having a mental breakdown.

But I'm fine.

I'm totally fine!

I mean, am I a little ticked off? Sure.

Does my heart ache because of- No. you know what? No. I'm okay.

I'm happy and calm.

And I feel fudging great!

This is not a mental breakdown. This is tranquility.

I feel great.

HEAR THAT EVERYONE?

CHARLIE HARRINGTON IS FEELING GREAT!

"All done." The lady smiled, her lips a shade of maroon.

Wait, what? We're done?

I didn't even feel it!

"Now, you will need to clean it at least twice a day. Try not to touch or move it until it is healed, and please avoid swimming." She advised.