38. Body Language

Charlie's POV

"Wait up!" Ryan called from behind me.

I felt so embarrassed.

I know it's impossible, unless Ace is a psychic, but it felt as if he knew exactly what I was daydreaming about. Him.

It's ridiculous, right?

"You okay?" Ryan asked, placing his hand on my arm, as if he were concerned. "Did Ace say something?"

"No." I assured him.

"I saw him whispering to you, then you got angry. What did he say?"

"Nothing." I continued walking.

"I'll kick his ass." Ryan seethed.

I turned to face him, grasping the sleeve of his shirt to hold him in place. "Ryan, it's fine. He didn't say anything bad."

He exhaled. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah." I gave him a reassuring smile.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

I paused in my tracks and turned to face him. "School?"

He gestured to his car.

"I'm fine with walking, you can go back inside if you want."

He took a few big steps and blocked my way. "Nonsense. Come on, let's go for a drive." He winked.

I smiled, following him to his vehicle.

I hopped into the passenger side.

"Are you excited?" Ryan asked, checking for traffic before he started the vehicle and eased out of the parking space.

"For school? I guess." I clicked my seatbelt in.

"No, silly. I'm talking about your birthday."

"Oh, right." I gave it a thought.

I've always loved my birthdays. It's the one day of the year that's all about me, and only me, sometimes.

I couldn't say that Ella inviting the entire school to my birthday didn't tick me off, because it did. Im surprised my parents even agreed to let me throw a party.

To answer Ryan's question: I was not excited about my birthday.

"Yeah, it's exciting." I lied.

Ryan took a turn down a street that was in opposite direction of school.

"You're going the wrong way." I stated.

"We're taking a detour." He smiled.

"We're going to be late!"

"We are not! School doesn't technically start for another forty minutes."

"Are you kidnapping me?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Yes." He answered sarcastically.

I laughed as he pulled into an empty parking lot. "This is the drop-off point." He smirked, slowly leaning towards me.

I met him halfway, allowing our lips to come into collision. The kiss was nice, soft and slow.

I pulled away by an inch. "We better not miss homeroom." I warned him.

His lips slightly brushed against mine as he spoke. "Don't worry, we won't."

~

"I had an idea of what we could do for our science project thing." Ace said.

I dropped my pen and turned to look at him, a surprised look on my face.