Chapter Twenty-three

Zemela's POV:-)

"What's happening?" I asked Skyler, the whole hallway was crowded and I was hundred percent sure I was twenty minutes late.

"Someone stole something from Fauna" Skyler said leaning on her locker, "it happened during practice so all the people that were present for practice are being searched"

"And what about others?" I asked.
I mean it's stupid to keep all the other students outside class since they know the people they're going to be searching.
Skyler shrugged, "people of power and principal Jase is in today, his presence made her drama bigger"

Stupid!

"Let's check your locker before the search team gets here" she motioned for my locker.
"Why?" I asked her.

She shrugged, "don't you want to be sure?" She asked me.
I shook my head, "sure of what? I didn't take anything" I told her.

She chuckled, "I know, didn't you hear of the boy in junior year that was framed for theft?" She asked me.
I shook my head, "nope, never"
She rolled her eyes, "we have to make sure because, Fauna is not anybody to mess with"
Before opening my locker, I searched around for Sadiki, he was no where to be seen, I locked eyes with Arlo he mouthed, "I'm so sorry" I forced a small smile then locked away.

"We are hanging out today right?" She asked me.
"I have_"
"You don't have work today" she pouted.
"Yeah, I know, I have a homework to complete"

A blue box fell out of my locker, the lock opened due to the force with which it hit the ground causing the contents to scatter around, two pairs of earrings, hair clips, hair band, rings and chain.

Students started pointing and whispering.
Skyler rushed to my side, eyes wide, "Mela" she tapped me looking at the contents on the floor, she slowly turned her gaze on me, "how...how did it get into your locker?" She whispered.
My eyes were still fixed on the golden chain on the floor. Skyler shook me, "Mela" I looked at her, "I have no idea, whose is it?"

Before she could answer my question, Fauna and her girlfriends rushed into the hallway, Fauna rushed to my locker, I turned to look at her, she took a wrist watch from the hook in my locker –a wrist watch I knew nothing of –

She looked me up and down, "I knew it'll be one of those pathetic basketballer girls"

She continued, "I suspected it had to be a scholarship one too, I always had my doubts about these scholarship kids"

Skyler stood in between Fauna and I
"You won't talk to her like that, this" she gestured to the items on the floor and the wrist watch in Fauna's hand, "is all a misunderstanding"

Fauna scoffed, "misunderstanding? Who would try to frame a pathetic scholarship girl huh? She just needed money because her father is too poor to cater for her!"

Brooklyn walked up to Fauna, "we should hand her over to principal Jase"

"No!" Skyler shook her head.
"My best friend didn't do anything"

"Yeah right" Fauna laughed, "she didn't do anything that's why she's standing like she can't speak for herself. I know you've never owned such expensive stuffs in your life, you're a nigga we expect this type of behaviors from your kind" she spat.

Words formed in my head but my mouth couldn't open.
I thought of how I'd loose my scholarship and get expelled for a crime I know nothing of. My father would never believe him even if I swore on the bible that I didn't commit such offense.
Tears clouded my vision.

"You'll be out of this school in no time thief"

"I didn't do it" I spoke up.
"Oh really? Then who else did it? You're a thief everyone has seen your true colors"

"You're a thief and I'm gonna prove that to everyone soon enough" I remembered her words.

This is her plan, she's trying to frame me. How do I prove that she's lying? She put the stuffs in my locker. Pathetic!

"You can't just call me a thief Fauna, I didn't do it, I have witnesses, people that were with me yesterday can testify that I didn't take anything from you"

She scoffed, "yeah? As if they would want to say the truth, they're all pathetic thief's like yourself"

"She did nothing" heads turned to the owner of the voice, Bryson Griffin was standing few feets away from us, he looked unbothered and calm as always, hands buried in his pocket.

Fauna rolled her eyes, "There's evidence already Bry_"

"I did it" the whole hallway gasped, with few strides he was behind me picking up the jewelry from the floor.

He smiled putting the pieces inside the box
"Why are you so surprised?" He asked Fauna with a chuckle, "we prank each other all the time, don't we? I thought you'd go to my locker immediately you figured your stuffs were missing so I changed the hiding spot but.." he paused, he glanced at Skyler who shifted awkwardly on her feet, "it seemed you had other ideas" he ended with a calm chuckle.

"Drama is over, case solved, classes begin now" the bell went off immediately Mr Austin finished the announcement.

Fauna walked up to Bryson who was talking to Nolan few feets away.
"You can't just cover up for a thief Bryson what she did was wrong" Fauna complained, I was also confused and shocked as to why he did that.

After how I behaved with him, why is he trying to save me?
Arrrrggh!
I feel like a terrible person now.

"She's a thief Bryson, a thief!"
"Let's go to principal Jase" he said ignoring her tantrum.

"Honestly Bryson! You're allowing that thing go free, what's wrong with you? I know you're just trying to cover up for her"
"She's a fucking bi_"

"Shut up Fauna!" The whole hallway went quite, wow! He was pissed off, he walked away leaving her behind.

She walked up to my side, "this isn't over, you'll pay for my humiliation. I promise you" she whispered before walking away.

Skyler walked me to class, "it's okay, Bryson took care of it, it was a good thing he confessed on time" she said, she chuckled, "Fauna doesn't like you that's why she's finding it hard to believe I bet she'll cool off once Bryson touches her" she said with a grimace...

I couldn't help but laugh, "now you find touching disgusting?" I asked her.
Her smile varnished, "i__"
I shook my head, "I've decided to forget about it, you're here for me I'll be I'm fine" I smiled.
"You're the best" she hugged me.
"You too, thank you"

In class I didn't see Sadiki so I figured he wasn't in school. Arlo kept giving me apologetic smiles.

Neither Bryson nor Nolan nor Fauna showed up in class.

During lunch I sat with Skyler, Ava apologized to me and we got along, I liked Dontella alot, she's also a senior year transfer student like Skyler.

The rest of the day went by smooth with no problem, no school authority had called me to question me about the theft, students weren't talking about it either.

After school I hung out with Skyler, Ava, Samantha and Dontella at Sami's.

When I asked Skyler about Sadiki she told me she didn't want to talk about it –yet– but she promised to patch things up with him.

That night I slept peacefully with no flashes of Reggie Abdon.

I hope Skyler, Sadiki and I remain best friends forever.

                                           +
What's up guys 😊?

Vote 🐽 comment 🐽 and share 🐽

See y'all 😊

It Started with a BETजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें