19. Sundial

Tempo Memoria ( Keiko's Point of View Part 2 )

I covered my eyes, my breathing unsteady as I hyperventilated. I was scared, I didn't know what to do.

I'm not a witch, I'm just a human. I couldn't help, I couldn't help my friends, I couldn't help Yuki.

I didn't know what to do.

I don't know what to do.

I sobbed uncontrollably and began to punch myself in the head. Even if I look away from her, even if I close my eyes.

I can't get her image out of my head.

I just want it out of my head.

I don't want to think of Yuki like that. I don't wanna think of anyone like that. Why was this all happening? What did we do to deserve this?

We're still young, we weren't ready for this.

Why am I like this? I just wanted to be happy. I wanted to feel safe with everyone.

I thought we'd always be safe if we were together.

Why does none of this make any sense? I went to the tree to feel safe, I wanted to be alone. But then everyone slowly showed up, and then demons showed up.

I don't understand.

I felt a soft large hand firmly grasp my fist to stop me from punching myself. I looked up slowly with tear-filled eyes to see a man with light blonde hair watching me with sad blue eyes. He looked as if he was about to cry too.

I knew we weren't in the forest, but all I could focus on was him.

"I'm sorry you have to go through this little one... Would you like a hug? I'd offer you some tea but I don't think we have much time for that." His voice was mature and gentle, it felt warm and soothing.

I nodded softly. I didn't know what I wanted or needed, I just wanted something to feel better.

The man let go of my hand and hugged me. His hand patted my head lightly as I cried into his chest. He hummed a small melody as he held me, and slowly I found myself able to recollect.

"Do you feel better?" He asked filled with worry, I just met him, and yet he felt like a father.

"As good as I could feel I guess." I sniffled, gently pulling away from him to wipe the tears from my eyes.

He smiled sadly as he watched me. After a few seconds of silence, he took a small breath and pulled out a small piece of rolled-up paper from his pocket.

"What is this?" I asked as I took it carefully.

"A contract." He explained in a soft whisper. "I am the god of time, Clemens, from the Epómeni Geniá. I want to help you, so if you sign that contract I will grant you a fraction of my power so you can help your friends. I'm not allowed to interfere much, but I want to do what I can to help you kids live the life you deserve."

I gently opened the contract and read it carefully.

"Do you have a pen?"

He smiled softly and made a pen appear in his hand, holding it out for me to take. "You read rather fast," He said as if he was proud.

"I guess I'm just fast like that," I replied with a faint smile as I signed my name, it was a horrible attempt to lighten the mood. Usually, I could force myself to be happy, but it was impossible right now.

"Glad to hear, I have high hopes you'll be unstoppable then." He said cheerfully.

I nodded. As I wrote my name all I could think of was the good times, the times my friends helped me through my worst days.

Even if we lost Yuki, I know she wouldn't want us to dwell on her in this situation. So if this contract isn't a lie, I'll use his power to help.

I'll lead us all to a better future. Just like Yuki would want.

So watch us, Yuki.