28. The Start

Overcast Memoria ( Yuki's Point of View Part 6 )

"Before you all start, allow us to give you new clothes and show you how to call your weapon." Although I heard the voice of the Goddess of Dark, I assumed my friends heard whoever they were working with.

"New clothes? Did you guys hear that too?" Seina asked, she seemed a little excited about what she heard.

With a quick poof of light, our bodies were covered and our clothing changed.

I looked down to see I was no longer covered in blood, all that remained were thin scars that were barely visible. I was wearing a black crop top with a hood, and fingerless gloves with a green band around my wrists. I had on black pants with a gold smoke-shaped design on my left.

I had a strap that held a bag firmly to my right thigh, and on the left side of my belt seemed to be some kind of holster.

"This feels like we're in an anime or something, do we have to dress like this?" Keiko asked, awkwardly hugging herself to cover her stomach. She was wearing a red skin-tight crop top, with two belts beneath. Her pants were uneven, having only one leg covered, and her red boots matched.

On her right leg, she was wearing tights with a clock hand design in gold running down her thigh.

"But Keiko! Look how pretty you look!" Nyoko nearly yelled with joy as she hugged her. "And look how cute my jacket is!" She said as she pulled away from the hug to show off her dark blue crop-like jacket with butterfly wing patterns on each side of the front.

Keiko rolled her eyes and smiled softly. "You do look really cute," Nyoko grinned proudly at her compliment as she continued to admire her own outfit filled with butterfly symbols.

Ever since we were little she had an obsession with butterflies for being beautiful and free. A part of me wondered if she didn't feel that way about herself.

"Never thought gods would design something like this," Isao said, opening and closing his hand as if he was trying to get used to his fingerless gloves. "I thought they were gonna give us old-looking stuff."

Isao was wearing a sleeveless hoodie with a large gold star on the hood. It seemed like everyone was dressed in monochrome colors with gold.

"Are you guys set now? We have to make this fast. We don't know what these demons want but we can't waste time admiring ourselves." Hiro asked, his outfit was a jacket and long shorts that were decorated with 7 golden triangles in total, all of them faced downwards but the one in the center on his belt.

"He's right, let's get going," Kurai said, walking ahead of us all toward the barrier. Her outfit was different too, was the contract for both of our behalves?

"Before you all go, you need weapons." The goddess spoke in my head once more. "Take a deep breath and relax your mind, it'll only take a second." I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as instructed.

"Good, now how out your hands and keep them open. Stay relaxed, and imagine an extended part of your body. Don't think of a weapon, but rather energy from your soul slowly making its way to your hands. Feel it take a shape that feels right, and once you feel something in your hand then you have completed your summoning. To reverse it imagine it in reverse."

I did as told, though it was difficult to keep a clear mind. Thoughts of fighting, protecting, of needing to be what the others needed plagued my mind.

I gripped my hand firmly when I felt something form in it, when I opened my eyes quickly I saw a sheathed katana in my hand. It wasn't too heavy but holding it by the end of the handle was a little difficult.

I quickly adjusted the way I was holding it and studied it closely. The sheath was black with a gold smoke design that matched my pants.

The blade itself was shiny as if it was brand new or freshly polished. The blade was engraved with the same smoke design in gold, and the handle had the same colors as my top. Black and green with bits of gold. The end had a thin rope string with a charm at the end of it in the shape of half of the Yin-Yang, in this case, it was Yin.

"Seriously? Why do you two have easy weapons?" Isao asked, I looked at him curiously to see him looking at me and Nyoko. He was holding a smooth dark blue Bo Staff that looked as if it was made of glass, the handle in the center was covered in what looked like stars in gold.

Nyoko giggled manically as if she was ecstatic to be living a childhood fantasy, in her hands was a pair of guns with a butterfly design, including a clear blue butterfly-shaped scope. All our weapons seemed to match our clothing.

"How come you don't have a weapon, Hiro?" Seina asked curiously. She was holding a war hammer over her shoulder. The metal was pink, it matched her clothing with a heart-shaped head, and two sharp edges on the other side.

The pink really complimented her.

"It's ok, I'll figure it out." He responded quickly as if to dismiss her.

"Now, you all may go. Make me proud my child." The goddess said in an eager yet endearing tone.

"Let's split into groups of three, one group for each guardian," Hiro suggested.

"Uhm, there should be four," Nyoko said, gaining everyone's attention. "The goddess I signed with said she wanted to give me a guardian after I signed. She didn't think just three could keep us safe." Nyoko carefully put both of her guns in the light blue holsters on the sides of her belt.

"She gave a guardian to a human?" Cooper asked curiously. "May I ask who you signed with?"

"She said she was the goddess of life," When Nyoko finished speaking she quickly jumped and punched the air behind her as if she got scared.

"You can show yourself," Ryuji said as if he understood the situation.

And just like that, a man stood behind Nyoko, he had brown skin with jade green eyes, his hair the color of a pearl with a rat tail ponytail going down his back.

He looked around at all of us, no expression to be seen on his face.

"What are the teams?" He asked as if he didn't know what to say.

He kept looking back and forth between all three guardians who were staring him down.

"We can ask him questions later. Let's get going." Hiro said as if he was growing agitated with how long things were taking. "Did you guys forget there are demons out there? They probably reached the town by now."

"My apologies." Nyoko's guardian said.

"Hiro, Yuki, Isao, and now Nyoko will all be separate teams. We'll work by what magic and weapons everyone has." Ryuji suggested. We all showed him our weapons and told him who we signed with one by one.

He then split us all into teams.

Nyoko was with Den.

Hiro was with Keiko.

Isao was with Natsumi.

That left me with Seina.

And with that, it was time to head out. Although I knew it all probably wouldn't go as we're picturing in our heads.

Knowing whatever we were gonna face was going to be together, gave me childish confidence, childish ideals of a situation much bigger than we acted like it was. I guess all these things we were taught were fiction or didn't exist in this way suddenly existed, here, in front of us. It felt like a dream like I was in a daze following a path laid in front of me.

Going out to fight, to protect. To have those I care about with me.

I felt strong. 

I felt ready.

As if a moment like this was carved into my soul.