50. My Own Overcast

Overcast Memoria ( Yuki's Point of View Part 11 / Final )

Once I watched Natsumi's body fall to the ground, I quickly walked over to Kurai and squatted down beside her. I put my hand on her shoulder and sighed in relief when I noticed the white smoke swirling around her wound and stitching it back together.

It was odd that she had the same thing as Natsumi, that white smoke.

But I just wanted to be glad she was okay, to focus on that instead. I can ask her questions about it another time.

I stayed by her side for a few seconds as I waited for her to recover. "I'll be ok." She says softly.

"Are you sure?" She stayed quiet and nodded in response, she probably just needed to rest her head while she healed. "Ok. I'll be back." I said softly as I stood up and began walking to the trees.

Nyoko and Den still haven't returned.

They could be scared out there. Kurai said the demons all vanished, so it'll be safe for me to go find them.

As I passed a few trees I heard the goddess call for me from the clearing.

"My child? Where are you heading to?" She called out.

"I need to find the others."

"My child. Your friends are here." She said loudly with a sweet tone in her voice to make sure I could hear her.

Did she bring them here? Like a teleport or something, gods can do that. Right?

"Oh," I said softly under my breath, a small smile of relief spreading to my face. So Nyoko and Den are safe. Good.

At least I have them, right?

As I turned back to return to the clearing once more I heard Kurai yell out.

"Yuki! Don't look!" She screamed in fear. But she was too late.

They were already in sight.

All of them.

All of my friends were lying together in the clearing.

Dead.

"I would've brought Ryuji too, but... Well... His corpse was, unfortunately, unsalvagable. Demons of Gluttony are awfully hungry." The goddess said, a faint giggle in her tone as he put her hand against her cheek.

My eyes flashed to each of their corpses as I felt my body shake. Some were more brutal than others, but each one was painfully carved in my mind.

I slowly walked over to them. Slowly falling to my knees at their feet.

I saw some of their corpses earlier, but now that everything is done. Now it felt as if the reality of it all finally kicked in. It felt hard to breathe, yet I felt as if my breathing was picking up at the same time.

All my friends were dead. Each day I was thankful for them, and yet as I sit here, crying lifelessly at their corpses.

I can't help but feel like I took them all for granted.

Why did this have to happen?

Why to them? What did they do to deserve this?

Just a few days ago we were hanging out and talking about university. Now we're here.

I felt so lost, so hurt. Like my mind is running in agonizing circles.

I did as I was told and went with the flow of the situation. Without questions I did what I had to do. But now as everything was all coming together, as every sight, every feeling, every emotion that I neglected for who knows how long was flooding every ounce of my body.

My body was crushing under the pressure of everything. I felt as if I could die here, by their side.

"Aw, my child." The goddess cooed as she slowly squatted down next to me. She rubbed my back softly with a sad smile on her face. "I truly hate to see you so sad. I'm sure everything will be perfectly fine."

"No. No, it won't." I gritted my teeth as my nails dug into the dirt under me. My fast paced breathing didn't falter. I felt sick to my stomach, my chest was tight and aching.

I let everything that happened, happen. Never once did I really question what would happen at the end of it.

What I'd do next.

"Oh?" She asked amusement in her soft voice. "I see, maybe I misunderstood. Well then... How about this," I looked at her curiously, tears burning my eyes and staining my cheeks.

"I can give you your friends back."

"Is there a price?" I asked cautiously with a shakey breath.

"Oh my child, of course there is. But it won't be horrible, I promise."

"Then, what is it?" I was hesitant, but even if it was horrible, I think I'd go through with it either way. I just want my friends back. I just want a normal life.

If I can't have that, at least they could.

"I want you to forever do my bidding without question. To aid me, stay by me. Train under me for four years, as not only my apprentice. But my child." Her words sounded a bit ominous, yet caught me off guard.

I carefully wiped the tears from my eyes and looked at the goddess in disbelief. "What?"

She giggled softly and smiled at me warmly. "Must I repeat myself?"

I shook my head slightly. "No, no. I just... Didn't expect that. So you'll really just give my friends back to me if I work for you? No strings attached?" My voice was soft and frail, I felt so weak but with this hope peering through, I need to calm myself down.

"Indeed. I'll return them to you in four years' time."

I stared at the goddess silently. It was a long time from now.

But it'll be worth it.

I slowly steadied my breathing stood up and held my shaking hand out to the goddess to shake her hand as a way to confirm our deal.

"Your guardian will come with you as well. Is that alright with you?" The goddess asked as she looked over at Kurai.

"Yeah." Kurai responded reluctantly, she seemed fearful of the goddess, as if refusing her was impossible to do.

"Good. Now then," The goddess turned back to me with a bright smile and gently shook my hand. "The deal is set, my child."

And that was it.

This incident wasn't the end of our lives.

But rather, it was the start.