41. Forever Weak

Voidant Memoria ( Leo's Point of View Part 2 )

Every second that went by felt as if I was slowly being driven to insanity.

Yuki wouldn't answer her phone, and she didn't contact me either. My anxiety was going off the roof.

I had to stay calm though, I couldn't worry Naito more than he already was. The poor kid didn't deserve this.

I clenched my fists tightly. I did all I could think of to teach him in the little time we had. There's only so much he could do at his age, especially with no experience.

But he's a smart kid, he's Yuki's younger brother. A god has to pick him.

They just have to.

He doesn't have to fight. He just needs to get me the permission to go help.

So why isn't any god reaching out to him?

I bit the inside of my cheek as I felt myself begin to shake.

"They're... They'll be ok? Right?.. Even if a god doesn't think I'm worthy?" Naito asked as he looked up at me from the table. He was sitting down in front of candles I organized for him. Each one with the symbol of each god of the Epomeni Pantheon.

The candles were lit and surrounded with any form of offering I could find to appease them.

The candles kept burning out as if the gods declined a call.

I glared at the candles, watching them go out one by one. The only one still going was that of Calista. The small sway of the flame felt as if she was teasing me before it finally went out.

I turned around and quickly stormed out of the house as tears burned my eyes, threatening to spill. I didn't want Naito to see me cry.

But I didn't know how to answer him. I couldn't answer him.

I couldn't do anything.

I was too weak to protect Alessia.

And now I'm still too weak to protect my new family.

As I closed the front door behind me to prevent Naito from watching me, I let out all my frustration in a scream.

"Answer us Calista! I know you're watching!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, I continued to call out for her as much as I could. I tried my best to be respectful though all of me wanted to cuss her out for not giving me the chance to protect them.

I didn't care if I died. I wanted them safe.

I needed them to be safe.

"Yuki.. Kurai.. please be safe." I whispered with a shaky breath.