38. Carry Your Star

Starlit Memoria ( Isao's Point of View Part 4 )

"Natsumi! Can you stand?" I called out after throwing a car at a demon with my gravity magic. She took a hard blow to protect a woman who was trying to help her child.

The mom and kid were found hiding in their home in fear instead of evacuating. We managed to save them last second but the mom got hurt she broke her arm and injured her back badly shielding her son. We were lucky her spine wasn't broken from the impact.

"Yeah. I'm ok." Natsumi replied, I could tell she was fighting back pain but I couldn't focus on that right now. If I get distracted the demon will just have more access to them, I have to stay focused on him.

"We can handle this demon, Miss Mori, please take the mother and her child to safety," Cooper instructed.

"Would it be safe to let her go alone?" I called out to him in concern.

"The demonic energy is less dense now, there weren't many in the first place so there shouldn't be much left. We can't risk letting the innocent get killed." He explained.

"Take care," Natsumi said loudly, she summoned a needle and carefully put it in the mom's arm. "That should reduce your pain, let's go." She looked as if she was healed from the impact as she began to quickly guide the two civilians.

The mom and her son just stayed silent as if they were at a loss for words, everything they saw in the past 10 minutes probably overwhelmed them too much.

I listened to the three of them run off and prepared my Bo Staff. I don't know why I kept taking it out, I don't even know how to use it. I guess it felt like I had to have it out in this kind of situation.

This whole time I had been focusing on using only my magic, but I could try to whack something if needed.

"Follow my lead," Cooper instructed, I watched as he pointed to a car I copied his movements and pointed at another car.

Almost in sync, with a short time difference we used gravity pull to sandwich the large purple-horned demon with the vehicles. The demon just laughed loudly as it allowed our attack to hit it, it was taunting us.

I grit my teeth as I kept attempting to strengthen the gravity of the attack but the demon only broke its way past the cars with near ease as bones slowly emerged from its body to form armor-like shapes.

I felt a small knot of anxiety form in my chest. This won't be easy, but I have to give it my all. They're depending on me, I'll make sure we'll all make it out of here alive without needing the contract.

We'll all live the lives we planned. Together.

"Mr. Arisu." I looked as Cooper called to my attention.

"If things go... Wrong. I want you to run."

"Cooper," I began to retort only to be cut off by the demon.

"Is that all? Stop talking and fight me!" It screamed impatiently.

"Promise me. Promise you'll run." Cooper said sternly, a spear forming in his hand. His mint-colored eyes looked filled with determination, but his body language was that of hesitance.

I guess I understand why Ryuji said the purple-colored demons should be avoided. I firmed my grasp on my bo staff as I looked back at the impatient demon. I wish I could say I knew what to do, and how to approach the situation.

But I was lost.

It felt as if my head was blank, I had nothing but doubt.

But I can't let it get to me.