47. No Trust

Overcast Memoria ( Yuki's Point of View Part 9 )

"Hiro. Let go of her." I said as a warning. I didn't want to have to fight him, but I'm able to understand when I have to. If something or someone is a threat to those I love, then I have to cast my personal feelings to the side and act.

I always believed that Hiro, Isao, and I were the ones to keep the others safe. Yet, here I stand.

Proven wrong.

Hiro refused to loosen his grip on Natsumi. "Don't listen to her Yuki."

Maybe the sudden chaos we were thrown into made sense now. Hiro always refused to let us meet his mother, to know anything about him before he moved into town. I know Isao didn't have an idea about his guardian.

But Hiro knew about his.

Only the three of us were able to use magic before signing the contracts, and the demons appeared before the signing. On top of that, Keiko said a demon called him "prince".

I didn't get it. Why did he do this? Were all our future plans a facade? Did he lie about our friendship, even after all we went through growing up together? I hated to know there was a possibility he lied to use all these years, but him being the culprit was the only thing that made sense at the moment.

I felt the black smoke moving around inside my skin. It was an odd feeling I grew used to quickly, it tightened the inside of my hands and wrists as if to aid my movement as I quickly swung my blade down. His forearm wasn't too thick, and the angle he held Natsumi made it easy to sever it in half.

Natsumi winced as Hiro screamed in pain, tears built in his eyes as he held his arm.

Keiko gasped at the sight, quickly running to us and pulling Natsumi away to safety. "You two get out of here!" Kurai called out to Keiko and Natsumi, to instruct them to leave.

I watched Hiro silently as he took sharp breaths from the pain, using his jacket to try and stop the bleeding. It hurt, it truly hurt me to do this. But if he's the reason Isao and Seina are dead, then I have to do something about it. "You too Kurai. I want to handle this myself,"

"But," Before she could retaliate I spoke once more. Though she's important to me, I can't help but feel irritated with her still.

"I said, I'll handle it." If I wanted to do things on my own, then I'm allowed to do so. Not to mention, her allowing Seina to die. I truly couldn't stand her at the moment.

I refused to remove my eyes from Hiro, the quick footsteps of Natsumi and Keiko slowly leaving my hearing distance.

"I'm not going too far." Kurai complied before walking off towards the exit of the forest. She was probably going to wait for Hiro's guardian to make sure he didn't interrupt.

Hiro finally managed to stop his bleeding. He immediately then went to try and follow Keiko and Natsumi, as if he had a goal to chase. He looked at me with pain in his black eyes as I took my stance once again and blocked his path.

"Yuki... Please don't," He spoke softly in nearly a plea, why was he looking at me like he deserved mercy? Like I was the one to betray the group?

"Why?" I started to question as I took a deep breath. My plans to take his life for this were set in stone, but I wanted to have closure as to why he betrayed us.

Hiro looked taken aback by my words, his eyes darting around as he searched for the words to say. "I... Aren't we friends?"

"Don't give me that bullshit. Why did you kill Isao? Why attack Natsumi? Why... Why start all of this?" I asked in a mix of anger and disbelief.

"I didn't hurt Isao. Don't you trust me?"

Silence lingered between us. "You don't..." He said in defeat, his voice was shaking as tears brimmed in his eyes once more.

"I can't. Not after all of this. Everything just points to you."

Hiro took a deep breath as he watched me. "I don't want to fight you. I don't want to die either. Just please, Yuki,"

I gritted my teeth in anger, did he think Isao and Seina wanted to die? Why should I care if he didn't?

I quickly aimed my katana straight at him, plunging it into his upper stomach. Hiro gasped loudly in pain, a painful cough escaping his lips as blood pooled into his mouth.

He shook as he stared at me as if he was trying to fight back the pain.

"Please... Yuki, Keiko is in danger... Please..." He begged as he sobbed, the blood in his mouth making it a little difficult for his words to come out clearly.

He truly seemed as if he refused to fight back.

But I can't let that get to me. If he is some sort of demonic prince, then it's probably a trick.

I can't risk it. No matter how sick I feel.

My best friend killed my other best friend.

And now I have to kill him.

I quickly moved the blade down to cut open the lower half of his torso.

I know this sight should bother me more than it does. But why do I feel so numb? So numb to taking a life? Even if I know I have to, shouldn't it still bother me more than this?

"Why couldn't we just stay friends? Why did you have to change everything" I whispered as Hiro slowly fell to his knees before completely collapsing.

When I turned my head to look away from Hiro's slowly dying body, I noticed Isao's body sitting against a tree.

I must have been so tunnel-visioned on Hiro that I didn't notice Isao. I sighed softly as I slowly walked over to Isao and crouched down beside him.

He had a decently large hole near the center of his chest, his heart was pierced and missing. His face and one of his arms were badly damaged.

Keiko said Hiro mentioned having multiple weapons. I guess this means one of them was a spear of some kind. A large one.

What kind of weapon would make such a clean hole?

I gently took Isao's hand and put it against my forehead as I closed my eyes.

"I'm sorry I couldn't find you sooner. Please, rest well," I said softly, I stayed in that position for a few seconds as I thought back to everything we went through.

Isao always did so much for Hiro. He always did nothing but be there for us in every given moment.

He didn't deserve this fate.