Addressing The Elephant In The Room

It's been a few days since Toshi arrived, and nothing special has happened. After Kei's warning, both of them decided it was better of they only met at school. 'I can't live like this! Toshi is constantly watching me! I can't even take a shower without them being outside the door! And, yes. I have spoken to them about this, but he won't listen to me!!' Kei was in tears, pulling his hair out, literally. He had a free period before the end of the day, and decided to spend it in the library. Hasegawa sat at a table in the back, quietly sobbing to himself. "Hey, dude. What 'cha doing here by yourself? Class is about to start." It was Nendou. Hasegawa fumbled for his notebook, desperately trying to come up with some explanation. "...Do you want to go the nurse? I can take you." Nendou offered Hasegawa his hand. Kei wiped his tears and smoothed his hair out, taking Nendou's hand as he pulled him up, "thanks."

As the two walked down the halls and towards the nurses office, Nendou rambled on about whatever was on his mind, and how hungry he is for ramen. The duo were approaching their homeroom when Kei stopped suddenly. "Dude? What's up?" Nendou said, turning to look at his friend. Hasegawa smiled, took a deep breath, and shook his head, "nothing, lets go inside." Long story short, they got yelled at by the teacher for being five and a half minuets late. They apologised and sat at their seats.

After some thinking on Kei's part, homeroom ended and the bell dismissed them to go home. Saiki, Kaido, Nendou, and Hairo went to Hasegawa's desk, "You okay man?" Kaido asked. They waited anxiously for his response, "yeah, sorry. i'm fine. but do you guys wanna come to my place?" Nendou shot up excitedly, "Only if you have ramen!" Kaido agreed, looking like an excited puppy, and of course Saiki tagged along. "Sorry! I have to decline!" Hairo apologised and explained his after-school activities. "don't be sorry! next time though, okay?" Hairo smiled brightly and they parted ways."So, what's your plan?" Saiki questioned on the walk home. 'I can introduce you all as.. m-my friends!' It was obvious Hasegawa hadn't had many friends.

"What kind of ramen do you have at your house?" Nendou said. "a decent amount of different kinds." Kei replied. When they were in front of his house, Kei's legs almost gave out, 'Deep breathes. Remember, you're doing this for your friends.' The front door was unlocked, which was more common now that someone was home, but Kei still did his little knock on the wall. "Sorry for the intrusion." Kaido bowed, slightly terrified. Biscuit flocked to them, Nendou and Kaido gazed at how cute she is, again. "Hey kid. Who're your friends?" Toshi greeted, eyeing Saiki up and down. Kei proudly gave them all little signs that had their name and little drawings on them. "Right. Nice to meet you Kaido, Nendou, and.. Saiki." Toshi shook their hands, eyeing Saiki once again. "Saiki?! Did I hear you say 'Saiki?!'" Hiro came running down the hallway.

Toshi rolled his eyes, "Yeah, dad. He's in here." As they exchanged pleasantries, Toshi pulled Kei aside, "What are you thinking! Why would you bring your boy toy here!" Kei almost choked, "He's not! He's just my friend!" Kei shoved Toshi's hands down, and signed outside of Saiki's view. "Oh? Who do we have here? It's nice to see you guys again! Kei, be a dear and go get your friends some snacks!" Akemi smiled from the doorway. Kei glared his brother, pulling out some ramen from the cupboard, and Nendou excitedly cheered. "Dude, calm down." Kaido suggested, patting Nendou shoulder in a convincing way.

"So, how was your day at school boys?" Hiro asked before enjoying his food. "It was a good day, uh, sir." Kaido responded, he was so nervous. Kei chuckled, "just call him Hiro, he's my dad." Kaido gave an embarrassing nod. As everyone talked, Toshi noticed the smile on Kei's face, and the little gestures made between him and Saiki, Toshi knew something was going on. "Do you realise your brother is suspicious of us?" Saiki asked stealthily. 'Yeah, I kinda figured. As long as he doesn't do anything stupid it's fine.' Kei responded, keeping and eye on Toshi.

Akemi looked at her youngest with glee, it's been a while since Kei's felt so comfortable around other people, and school, and she was delighted. "Hey, do you guys wanna see Kei's baby pictures?!" Akemi shot up excitedly. "No! Absolutely not!" Kei shot back, grabbing his mom's arm. Akemi smirked at the silence that fell over them, even Toshi was uncomfortable. "...I-I think w-we should go!" Kaido said, breaking the awkward tension. Kei was panicking, until Toshi spoke up, "Hold on. I think he wants to give you guys an explanation." Kei has never nodded his head so hard in is whole life. Akemi and Hiro were staring him starstruck, based on his expression they knew he was going to tell them everything. This was Kei's biggest secret and biggest insecurity, was he really about to do this?

As he took a shaky breath, tears pooled in his eyes. "I wasn't born mute," He started off, tears started trickling down his cheeks. "Kei..." Toshi wrapped their arms around Kei's shoulder. "You don't have to sweetie." Akemi chimed in. Kei wiped away tears and smiled, "They deserve to know." Since that was the case, Toshi said he would narrate as Kei signed.

"We used to live with our grandparents, but then one day, I think I was five? Six, maybe. Anyways, believe it or not, I was a very chatty kid— he was," Toshi added, earning Kei to elbow jab him, "Ow! Tch, there was this teacher who was obsessed with me, and... and he always gave me little gifts, so when he handed me a bottle of juice saying 'this will help not to dry out your throat.' I was a fool for trusting him..." Akemi started crying, she hated seeing her baby is so much pain. Kaido had tears as well, "It was diluted rat poising." Audible gasps could be heard, "It was pretty bad, I was in hospital for about two years. I couldn't speak until just recently, so it's a bit weird talking to you guys, but now that I'm older it has gotten better! It's only when I scream or talk for a really long time that it hurts. Oh, and certain food and drinks hurt as well." Despite the cheery voice in which Toshi explained the last few sentences, tears spilled like waterfalls from Kei's glistening blue eyes.

They sat in silence, taking in the news. Nendou has been the quietest he's ever been, and Kaido couldn't stop crying. But Kei was focused on Saiki, searching his face, his posture, for any signs of emotion. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Kei mumbled, rushing off to his room, how could he be so naïve?! Why would his friends still hangout with him now? He had lied to them, and now, they had left without a word.