The Big Ship's Guns and an Incident

This is this month's post.

It's finally time to fight the pirates, but we'll see what happens...

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With a tremendous explosion, 41 cm shells fired from the Yamashiro's main guns soared toward the top of a small hill at an incredible speed, barely visible to the eye. Then, a voice emerged from the artillery crew.

"Impact!"

Immediately after, out of the simultaneously fired shells, four of them hit the interior of the fortress. The impact of the Type 3 shells, weighing over 1 ton and containing shrapnel to spread explosions over a wide area, caused intense flames and a cloud of dust to rise. At the same time, the observation plane circling above continued to report.

"Four direct hits!! All remaining shells are near misses!! Adjustment needed!!"

Although it was called a simultaneous firing, in reality, only two out of the triple main guns had been fired, so there were still two shells remaining.

"Yamashiro! Adjust and unleash the next barrage!!"

"Yes, sir! Hurry and load the next shell!!"

Receiving an unusually strong voice that was unheard of during normal times, Yamashiro received reports from the artillery crew.

"Adjusting! Adjusting!!"

"We scored four direct hits with the first shell!! Unlike ships, the targets here are big and stationary, so don't miss this time!!"

The shouts within the ship were intense, and various voices could be heard through the voice tubes and communication devices. This state strongly conveyed the fact that they were currently in combat. Even Elina, who is usually calm and cheerful, watched the situation with a tense expression.

"Commander, the triple turret in the center can fire immediately... What do you want us to do?"

As Asahi maintained a sharp expression, without faltering, he replied.

"Good. Fire it, and if further adjustments are needed, make them and prepare for the next shot over there as well."

"Yes, understood! Second shot, fire!!"

BOOM!!

Immediately after the command, once again, massive shells weighing over 1 ton were launched with a burst of flames, and two shells flew toward the mountain where the fortress was located.

"Impact!"

The rising flames came from inside the fortress, and both shells were direct hits.

"Good. Yamashiro, continue the bombardment as it is. Akitsu Maru!"

"Yes, Commander."

"What is the status of the landing force?"

"Already prepared, sir. The second-class transport ships are eagerly awaiting the moment to land."

Receiving the report that they could go at any time, Asahi finally showed a smile.

"Notify the Army! Tell them to 'go all out, but be cautious!'"

"Understood. The Army will land on the same island from now on and roar at the enemy's stronghold. We will annihilate the enemy."

"Katori, for now cease firing and assess the situation. Although, after the flashy 'greetings' you guys gave earlier, it's questionable if there are any survivors."