Unceasing Boom

This month's post.

It's finally time for the full-fledged, boom-boom part! Yay!

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the end of the telescope where Deccompo continued to peer, an enemy ship that should still be about 10 kilometers away suddenly emitted a large smoke.

"The enemy ship is firing!!"

Deccompo didn't hide his expression of amazement while looking at Namirou next to him.

"What are they doing...? Are they trying to intimidate us?"

"Indeed. If it were the magic battleship of the Eisengeist Empire, the world's strongest, I might understand, but I can't believe that Japanese artillery can reach this far..."

"Uh-huh... just in case, take evasive action..."

Hyururururururururururururururur...

A flute-like sound blared, and the two warships in the forefront suddenly exploded and were blown away.

"The-the warships Buppako and Tatokori have been sunk!"

"...Huh!?"

The enemy ship was supposed to be still about 10 kilometers away. It was unthinkable for artillery to reach such a place. Moreover, it was not a feat that the barbarians who did not belong to the civilized world could accomplish, hitting the targets with a single shot. That's the 'common sense' of this world, alright. However, the Japanese fleet was equipped with high-performance radar, allowing radar-aided targeting as the ships approached each other. Naturally, this enabled them to achieve a high accuracy, not that the Olfastar fleet was aware of such things.

"Th-this is crazy! Artillery flying over 10 kilometers and hitting with a single shot!!"

"Wh-what kind of magic are they using!?"

The cannons mounted on Olfastar ships-of-the-line exhibited performance and power close to muzzle-loading culverins with a range of 2 kilometers. However, due to the kingdom's low overall ironworking technology, there was a drawback where the strength of the barrels was not as high as that of cannons at Earth's level during the same period, which was compensated for by magic reinforcement on the weaker parts. However, because they engraved explosive magic as a spell inscription on the rear of the barrel, rather than using gunpowder as the propellant, they could immediately fire the cannon after cleaning the barrel and loading the shell by flowing magic, which was an advantage over culverins in terms of rate of fire. Moreover, being at the culverin level, they had a maximum range of 2 kilometers and a low chance of misfire compared to Japan's cannons, which were at the level of the Frankish gun (breech-loading cannon).

In any case, due to the lack of knowledge regarding physics, people in this world, except for a few reincarnated people, didn't think too deeply about how to improve range and accuracy more than their Earth contemporaries. In the case of Japan in the old world, for muskets, gunsmiths put a lot of effort into innovations, resulting in a high hit rate among firearms of the same level. However, they mostly focused on improving and modifying existing weapons, which may have led to their isolation and over 200 years of peace, but it was regrettable that they couldn't create many new weapons. Moreover, the evolution of weapons and technological progress occur in the midst of conflicts, including wars, so it couldn't be helped.

That being said, while the Olfastar Navy was in chaos, another threat was approaching from above at high speed. Deccompo, who saw 'it' descending rapidly, realized the enemy's intention.