Wyvern vs Propeller Plane

This is this month's post.

To be clear... it's about "curbstomp," isn't it?

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the decisive naval battle approached its climax, there were significant movements in the sky as well. At an altitude of about 3,000 meters, Commander Yoshiaki Sagara, who commanded the Reppu squadron launched from the aircraft carrier, observed scattered speck-like shadows in the distant sky.

"Are those..."

If the observations from the anti-aircraft radar of the aircraft carrier Amagi were accurate, the total number of approaching enemy air units was said to be 200. Although the Reppu squadron consisted of only 72 planes, the total number now included 117 Ryusei that had completed their bombing run on the transport ships, along with 6 Seiran launched from I-401 and I-402. Therefore, the total number was 195, and there was hardly any numerical disadvantage against the enemy. In that case, the key factors were the performance difference of the aircraft and the tactics employed. Sagara recalled the repeated warnings given to him by Asahi before the sortie.

"The enemy is a living being, so be mindful of using wing-assisted rapid deceleration, sharp turns, folding wings for roll maneuvers, and mimicking nose reversal. Pay close attention to these points and try to employ a one-strike disengagement tactic with minimal fatigue."

In other words, the opponent, known as wyverns, had the potential to evade attacks through agile maneuvers, particularly relying on flexible aerial movements. The cautionary advice was given to avoid wasting ammunition, minimize fatigue, and be attentive to not be outmaneuvered by the unconventional movements of the creatures from another world. Asahi made this warning because he believed that the otherworldly creatures might play with the pilots with movements that are completely different from those of aircraft in the pilots' common sense.

The former Japanese military, especially considering the preference for close-quarters combat in the design philosophy and pilots of some of their local fighters, had emphasized the need for such caution. Despite idealizing hit-and-run even for twin-engine planes, they had strived to impart dogfighting capabilities similar to the Zero fighter. Of course, there were pilots like Tetsuzo Iwamoto who excelled at hit-and-run, but there is no doubt that he had a strong image.

"The commander was quite concerned... but well, with these Reppu, we should generally have no problem unless they start using hit-and-run tactics with jet planes."

Originally designed as a successor to the Zero fighter, the A7M Reppu excelled in close-quarters combat at low altitudes and low speeds around 3.000 meters. If they could leverage this speed difference for attacks, it would significantly reduce the pilot's burden. However, dogfighting was considered a last resort in aerial combat. This was because entering a dogfight situation meant that the "hit-and-run failure" had occurred.

If the hit-and-run succeeded, that was enough. Even if the attack on the enemy failed, a plane with gained velocity from a rapid descent could use it to climb back to high altitude and launch another attack. However, as the saying goes, things didn't always go as smoothly as one might hope.

Moreover, engaging in dogfighting has its risks. Firstly, the intense maneuvers and turns caused by gravity put a significant strain on the pilot's body. Additionally, under such strenuous conditions, various judgments had to be made to get behind the enemy, depending on the pilot's physical and psychological state at that moment. In essence, if someone with average abilities was flying, the inherent advantages or disadvantages of the aircraft would be nullified.