Return and Service

This is this month's post.

Well, this time the influence of the TV show I was watching during the rerun when I wrote this... It's obvious when I wrote it (lol).

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following day, the Asahi's Pirate Suppression Fleet returned to the port city of Kii in the Japanese Empire. As they looked upon the shores of the harbor, they were greeted with thunderous cheers from the people. For those who had been plagued by pirates, it was truly a relief to have them eradicated. To Asahi an Asian, being welcomed by people belonging to otherworldly, fantasy-like races dressed in Edo period-style Japanese clothing was quite surreal.

As Asahi disembarked from the Yamashiro, an even louder cheer erupted. Seeing this, he broke out in a cold sweat.

"Seriously... Just how much damage did those pirates cause?"

At that moment, Elina, who had been mostly silent since the appearance of the dragon, explained to him.

"Our country is an island nation located between continents, and also serves as a trading nation in the eastern seas between islands. So, the pirates who attacked us were like natural enemies..."

"I see. Well, I guess they had every reason to hold a grudge."

Asahi, along with the captains under his command, were treated as true heroes. With a large number of guards protecting them, Asahi and the others made their way to the station, carrying Melfit's egg. At the front of the station building, they met up with Fusou, Agano, and Tsugaru.

"We're back, Fusou."

"Welcome home, Commander Asahi."

Fusou and the other women who held captain positions simultaneously bowed their heads, causing another round of cheers. Asahi couldn't help but find it a bit exaggerated.

. . .

And then, three hours later, at the main keep of Azuchi Castle, Asahi, Fusou, and the four military observers, Saigou Tsugumichi, Saitani Umeko, Sakai Namie, and Elina, were giving a report to Akeno Osamenokimi. Even Akeno Osamenokimi, renowned for his composure, widened his eyes in astonishment when the conversation turned to the topic of the magical dragon.

"So, the magical dragon was protecting that island!?"

"Yes, that dragon... a certain individual named Melfit Zandra claimed to be that."

"Melfit Zandra! I've heard of that name!! The only one of its kind known as the sole magical dragon species in the current era of a great empire to the north, the Clermont Empire! I had heard she went missing a few years ago... So, she was swept away by a storm and ended up on a remote island in the middle of the sea. In that case, it's no wonder nobody knew of her whereabouts."

As Asahi had anticipated, it seemed that Melfit was a well-known figure, or rather, a famous individual (dragon?) even in other countries.

"As for the pirates themselves, perhaps due to us sinking their ships, they had dwindled to the point where they could only be called remnants," concluded Asahi's report.

Next were the reports from the three military observers and Elina. On a side note, since the King knew well about his daughter's tomboyish nature, he simply expressed relief that she had returned safely and even apologized to Asahi, saying, "My daughter's selfishness must have caused you trouble."

First was the report from Army observer, Tsugumichi.

"What's astounding to me is their fleet of vehicles. Despite being in a land that is completely undeveloped, they have impressive capabilities that allow them to move at a considerable speed. Regarding weaponry, the navy and aircraft took care of most of it, so there isn't much to report... However, it seems that their cannons and such have capabilities close to those installed on ships, in terms of firing rate and armor penetration, for example."