Chapter 35- Storm Front

Yama and the children went through their schedules as usual for the next couple days. Yama would check on them whatever they were studying and offer a small tidbit here and there, but the kids had pretty much figured out the self study over the past two weeks.

The Academy remained a fairly calm place, away from the hustle and bustle of the village; it was in a lower traffic area and had also avoided the majority of the damage from the nine-tails attack.

However, Thursday afternoon, after school, news finally broke among the general populace that war was on the horizon.

The news spread like wildfire, and clan children and civilian children alike found out at approximately the same time.

Yama, normally a recluse in the Hatake household, was not aware of the situation thanks to Kakashi's normally taciturn demeanor.

However, Yama liked to think that they were starting to get along a little better. He had been trying to pull back a little from the relationship, knowing that he was much more comfortable with Kakashi than Kakashi was with him, and overstepping any boundaries would put a the young shinobi on guard.

In fact, Kakashi had even invited Yama to have dinner with him the previous night, and though Yama had to cook, he still enjoyed the experience. Kakashi was even making small talk.

It was very excitable; he had asked Yama about sparring with Might Guy.

Apparently, Might Guy had told Kakashi a little, but Kakashi wanted some more details, so he brought it up with Yama, who was more than happy to provide said details.

Yama, with the knowledge that he was improving his relationship with Kakashi, got up on Friday morning with a smile on his face.

Kakashi soon put an end to that.

Kakashi invited Yama into the kitchen and sat down at the dining table with the older man.

As soon as Yama sat down, Kakashi spoke to him.

  "I am being recalled into active service, and I will no longer be your handler.

  Your next handler will find you at the Shinobi Academy after classes. His name is Fume.

  He is a formerly retired shinobi, but he has been reactivated. He'll be in charge of you and your activities in the village.

  Since I will not be home often, I will allow you to stay in the compound as long as you keep the area clean and don't allow any animals into the actual living spaces.

  The courtyard is fine.

  I'm also taking my tracking seal off of you. I won't be able to use it, and I expect Fume-san to put a new one on you.

  That's it. Good luck with your teaching job."

Yama frowned slightly.

  "Does ANBU really need people that badly?"

Kakashi's eyes hardened as he squinted a little at Yama. Kakashi must've let it slip that he was ANBU before this, but he couldn't remember when.

It was mildly concerning, but Yama always treated him like a child. Perhaps when Kakashi got mad about it, he had let slip the employment history.

Must be.

Yama sighed before continuing.

  "Sorry, I don't mean it like that.

  Please stay safe, Kakashi."

Kakashi nodded once and disappeared in a swirl of leaves, leaving Yama alone with his thoughts.