5

"You-God, Y/N, you frustrate me. It's hard enough getting used to a new assistant, especially when they don't stay for long. It's even harder when it's you! You're stubborn and headstrong. But, I like it. I like that you're sticking up for yourself, especially with me. I don't like the attitude, but it's good that you're not letting me beat you to the ground. I like you, Y/N. I'm not going to fire you but you need to watch the attitude. You have potential"

"Are you kidding?" I almost laughed, but smiled instead.

"I'm being serious. I like that you're standing up for yourself, but I don't want that attitude, okay? It's not fun for any of us"

"I understand" I said, nodding.

"I think I owe you an apology" he mumbled as I looked down at my hands. My head nearly popped off when I quickly looked up at him. I didn't know what to say. "I'm sorry for not believing you this morning when I said you lied about the coffee. It was my fault and I shouldn't have been quick to accuse you"

"Thank you, Mr Sturniolo"

"You're welcome, honey"

I smiled, not knowing what else to say.

"I'll, uh.." I started, and more so stutter, but a phone ringing cut me off. I then realised it was my phone after I forgot to put it back in my desk. "Oh God. I'm sorry"

"It's fine. You're good to go for today. Go ahead and take it" he said, throwing me off with his 'nice' act.

"Thanks. I'll take it outside"

"Yeah" he mumbled and I felt his gaze follow me out of the room and into the hallway.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Mom"

"I saw your caller ID when you called" I said, tucking some of my hair behind my ear as I walked down the hall. Part of my wanted to apologise, but when I think of it, she never did. Not when she couldn't come to a show of mine or when she said terrible things about my dad.

"I'm sorry, Y/N" she replied and I wait for more. I knew there was more and I was afraid to know what. "I just wanted to call you before I went home"

"How is he?"

"We've both been better" I shook my head. She always knows how to make it about herself. My eyebrows furrow when I felt goosebumps on my neck and I turned around. There was the sound of phones ringing, but they were far away.

"Was your boyfriend with you today, or did he have to work again?"

"No, John was able to take the afternoon off" She said. I haven't met John yet and I hadn't planned on it.

"That's good"

"He just said goodbye, I thought I'd call you to see how your day was. Is your boss still giving you a hard time?"

"Yeah"

Please stop trying to make small talk and ask how I am. She lost that right a long time ago.

"Have you talked to him? It might help"

"It's fine, don't worry"

"I'll still worry, bunny" she answered and there it is. My insides turn at the nickname.

"I'm fine..I'm more worried about him"

"You can't ask for one day off?" She asked. I knew it was coming, but none of this made any sense

"Mom, you know I can't. You know I would if I could. I just started here and I'm on my probation period for a while. I don't get vacation days yet and I need the money"