47

Matt's POV

"You sure this will work?"

"Yeah"

"Positive? You can't have doubts" I said, raising my eyebrows at her.

"Yeah, Matt, it's just chess, not a court case" she laughed, moving a piece forward

"I don't take competition lightly"

"We know" she scoffed, but her lips fell into a frown when I jumped over one of her pieces, taking her player.

"Not fair" she sighed, sitting back into the bed.

"Don't be a sore loser"

"Can we be done? I'm tired"

"You're just saying that because you're losing, right?" I joked and she shook her head, rubbing her eyes.

"Okay, we'll continue this game later. You get some rest, you need it. You need your strength for the PT in an hour" I said, setting the wooden board down on the couch.

"Okay" she yawned, her voice followed by the whirring of the bed moving, the head of it relaxing. "You aren't going, are you?"

"What?" I asked, turning to see her eyes searching for mine. It confused my heart how she searched for in a room, eyes always on me, no matter how far I was. "I'm just going to get something to eat and talk to Holly"

"Oh" she sighed, pouting. "I don't want you to leave"

"I'm only going downstairs for a few minutes, babe. I won't be long, I promise. Do you want some chapstick, your lips look sore?"

"You're looking at my lips instead of answering my question, Matt" she pouted, scrunching up her face.

"Put the pout away" I insisted, wagging my finger. "I noticed your lips were chapped, that's all"

"Sure"

"Go to sleep, I thought you were tired" I asked, removing the top off the chapstick to spread it across her lips. "There you go. Now, get some sleep"

"What if I have a nightmare and you're not here...again?"

I sighed. "I'll only be a few minutes"

"But, Matt-"

"Stop worrying, you'll be okay. The nurse will be here if you need anything" I said, but she didn't budge.

"I don't want her, I want you. Why can't you stay?"

"Because I have something important to do! How many times do I have to tell you, Y/N, you'll be fine?" I exclaimed, with firmness in my voice. I watched as my words hit her like a slap to the face. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that"

"It's fine, you keep saying. Everything's fine, your fine, I'm fine. My nightmares are fine" she mumbled, avoiding my gaze and looking to her lap. "Just go..do whatever you want"

"Y/N"

"Go" she said softly, shaking her head. That's the last thing I did when I saw the tear in the corner of her eye.

"I'm sorry, I'll just text Holly to come to me. You're more important"

"Don't lie to me" she said against my neck.

"I'm not. You're always more important, you know that" I said into her hair. "I'll stay, I want to"

"I'm sorry I need you all the time" she sobbed, her tears warm against my neck. I sighed and pulled away from her.

"Hey,you don't to apologise for that, okay?" I said, cupping her face in my hands. "My job, my life right now is to take care of you. I don't want to do anything else. I'm not going back to work until you're better, it doesn't matter how long"