18

I felt the eyes on the back of my head as I walked out of the bathroom and back to my desk. When I turned around, there was nobody there. I ran my hand over my face as I pulled out my chair and sat down.

I turned on my laptop and sniffed, typing in my password.

The background loaded and there was two dings. I looked at the corner of the screen, seeing the name I dread the most.

Matt: please try to be nice with the costume

Matt: you're making me nervous

There was a new ding and a new message.

Matt: you there?

Me: yeah, I'm busy, sorry

Matt: it's okay :)

Instead of replying, I checked my inbox , which was of course, overflowing. After some client emails, the fourth email is from Matt. I'm guessing he finished the list and sent it from home, which wasn't weird for him.

Me: what file do you want?

Matt: ?

Me: on the list, it says 'find the HartWood file and bring it to me ASAP' You need to be more specific, okay? We talked about this.

Matt: I need the crime file on Jack HartWood. It's not a digital file, so you'll have to go to the basement for the real paper ones. You were down there before, right?

Me: yeah I had a great time. I loved the old guy who shoved a Twinkie in his mouth. I nearly had an asthma attack from the dust and I don't have asthma.

Matt: you're hilarious

Me: I'm being serious

Matt: ;)

Me: don't send me a winky face. First I have to do all that filing and now I have to go to the basement. Who knows how many rats are down there with that guy?

Matt: chill out! There's no rats in my company

Me: I heard something the last time I was down there. I swear to God I saw a tail, Matt.

Matt: you didn't see a rat. I keep my company clean, okay?

Me: you need a new guy down there who isn't 90 and probably has an arrest with pedophilia . I bet you he watches porn on his computer down there. Check his history.

Matt: he doesn't, Y/N. Tom's background is spotless. You really think I'd hire someone like that?

Me: all he does is guard fifty shelves of files, so yeah

Matt: fuck you

Me: can I please not go down there?

Matt: I was thinking about it, but not after what you said about Tom.

Me: he's not nice, Matt! He's so rude. He didn't even help when I had a question.

Matt: do you want me to come down and give you another tour? I don't really want to because I'm supposed to be on a call with someone from NY

Me: don't be so honest

Matt: sorry, I'm dreading this call and Chloe keeps blowing my phone up. She's in a mood today.

Me: what's new?

Matt: be nice

Me: I'm telling the truth