17

"Boyfriend?" Matt stuttered, the words catching in his mouth. It was impossible who to look at, until my eyes drifted to Matt. He was shocked, it was clear as day. He laughed, "no I'm Matt, her boss. You must be her roommate?"

"Yeah" Holly replied and my cheeks got hot and the sick feeling in my stomach spread. "So you're the Matt I've heard so much about" she announced, winking at me. Stepping forward, she reached out to shake his hand.

"Good things, I hope"

"Of course" she lied, waving her hand. "I'm Holly, her best friend and roommate. I didn't know you'd be here tonight"

"Neither did I" he laughed and I almost did it again, but I didn't look at him. "I picked Y/N up after her car wouldn't start and we came back after going to the mechanic. We were just going to make dinner, if you hungry"

"No thanks. I was just stopping by to grab something"

"Oh" Matt sighed and when I looked at him, his eyebrows were doing all of the talking.

It was only a minute before we said our goodbyes and the silence became awkward again.

"Y/N?" By now, I looked back to the board game. He sat down beside me and turned my head to look at him. "Do you need to be somewhere?" Remembering the text wasn't hard and neither was the mischief thought I had looking down at the text.

"I forgot I was supposed to meet him tonight. He's someone I met recently" I find it easier to meet his eyes, deciding that I didn't lie. The guilt came, because I forgot my date with Luke. Quickly I typed a reply, one that I think on. I pretend to struggle for words and ask myself an important question.

Is Matt jealous?

"Oh, cool" he said and I wanted to laugh, since when does he say 'cool'. At the same time, it sounded like him- like he doesn't care. Or does he? Tough Matt, doesn't, but what about new Matt? I hate that I care what he thinks because I shouldn't. Not how he acted like our kiss never happened. "I'm sorry for looking, but it sounds like he wants to go get food with you tonight"

"Yeah"

"What, why are you turning him down?"

"Read over my shoulder much?" I tut, turning my head to find him inches away from me. He shrugged with wide eyes. "Okay, what? I know you want to say something" I said, brave enough to put him on the spot.

"Nothing. Just- I don't know why you're hanging out with me when this guy is inviting you out? I don't get it"

"It's Saturday. I have work tomorrow, at your company. Why's that hard to get?" I asked, making up a story as I send the text.

"That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying to stay out all night, Y/N"

"Thanks for having hope in me"

"I didn't mean it like that"

"You don't even know me, Matt" I shoot a low blow at him. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. I just-"

"Just what, Y/N?" He asked with furrowed eyebrows. How can he not remember?

"I don't know. I want to say yes and go out with him, but it's almost nine. It's scary and I don't have a car" I said, deciding that so be it, I'll die here if it means I get to make Matt jealous.

"It's not like you could've told him to get his ass over to you. If he likes you enough, he'd be here in a heartbeat" Matt shrugged, as if I should know this. "What are you scared of, Y/N?" He asked, confused. I followed behind him into the kitchen, watching as he looked into the refrigerator.