46

Matt's POV

"Stop watering the flowers and come cuddle me"

"I can't, babe. You know that we'll get in trouble"

"I don't care. Please, Matt?" She whined and I could tell she was pouting. "It's Valentine's Day"

"Fine" I sighed dramatically and threw the empty water bottle into the trash. I turned around and saw her smiling widely.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked, rubbing her eyes.

I walked towards her. "Just thinking of how quick you'll be asleep when I start playing with your hair" I smiled, kicking off my shoes and pulling back the blanket.

"No, I want to stay awake and talk to you" she protested.

"Okay, babe" I laughed, laying back as she rested her head on my chest. I pulled the blankets over us and carefully tangle my legs with hers, while I ran my fingers through her hair.

"Are you okay?" I asked, bringing the blanket to her shoulder and rubbing her back.

"Yeah, just really cold"

"I'll keep you warm, don't worry" I hummed against her hair.

"Your beard is ticklish" she laughed, yawning again.

"I can't remember the last time I shaved. You got your wish, just in time for Valentine's..Get some sleep, Y/N and you can open your present when you wake up for dinner"

"Good" she said, nuzzling her head into my chest. It was only minutes until her breathing was slow and her snores meet my ears.

"I told you, a minute flat" I teased in a whisper. It's quickly forgotten when the tip of my finger meets they very thing that almost took her away from me.

~,

"Matt, I don't feel good" Y/N mumbled and turned away from me to the other side of the bed.

"What's wrong?"

"My stomach hurts" she whimpered, letting out a sob. I slide out of the bed and over to the door, the image of her clutching her stomach in my mind.

The nurse nodded at me, looking concerned. I followed her until I froze at her instruction to 'stay there'. I pulled on my hair when she pulled the curtain closed, separating us. My heart tore at the sound of her vomiting from behind the curtain.

My heart jumped in my chest when my phone buzzed in my pocket. Fishing my phone out, I find it was on low battery, and I had a text from my Mom.

Mom: I haven't heard from you today. How is she doing?

Me: good till now. She's vomiting and I can't be in there. I feel so helpless

I sniffed and wiped my nose. Without asking, I was reminded of the time she called me crying while her dad was vomiting with his chemo. It didn't take me longer than a few seconds to decide to go be with her. Only now did I understand how hard it feels to not be able to help, and I felt like I was back in the waiting room. Waiting and feeling helpless.

Mom; I'm sure it's nothing serious, let the nurses help her. They'll let you back in when she's better, it shouldn't take long. She may not want you to see her like that, you never know...it'll be okay.

"Matt"

I lifted my head and the nurses face fell when she saw my eyes.

"She's okay...she vomited a few times and it seems to be done, but I left some disposable bags if it comes back. I cleaned her up and she wanted to be left alone to rest" she told me and my insides melted at her words. "It could be a side effect from the medication, it's hard to tell, but we'll keep an eye on it"