37

"How's your Dad doing?" Matt asked when I returned to my seat

"He's doing good, thanks. It took a while for his energy to come back, it's a process" I answered, picking a fry up. "He's happy to have his hair back, he got into running and lifting weights"

"I feel like I learn more about him every time we talk about him. I didn't know he was into weights, good for him. You don't know how happy I am to hear that he's back on his feet"

I smiled when I felt his fingers wrap around mine, squeezing my hand. I still don't know how I could have ever doubted he cared about me.

"Thank you" I replied, squeezing his hand in return. He stroked my hand with his thumb, before letting it go.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there at the end to celebrate" he said, letting his head fall. He avoided my gaze as he picked up bits of cheese that fell out of his taco.

"It's okay, Matt" He nodded at my words. I think it did the job and he knows what I mean. We both know that we ignored each other and forgot, whether by accident or on purpose. "I guess there's several reasons for our dinner and drinks"

"Very true" he agreed, smiling. He lifted his eyes to meet mine again, holding out his half eaten taco. "Cheers to your dad's recovery, catching up with old friends and you getting the job. I'm excited to see what the future holds for me and my new favourite lawyer"

"Stop, or I'll cry and you've seen me cry enough" I smiled, blinking back the tears as I bump my taco against his. "Cheers to new beginnings"

"It's okay if you cry. Happy tears are good too"

"Very true" I agreed, finishing the rest of my taco.

"How are Holly and Robert these days?" He asked, squashing his food wrapper into a ball and set it on the tray.

"Uh, they're both good. Holly got a new job at a salon that she likes. And Robert is still working. He started dating someone, but I'm yet to meet her. It seems like everyone is having luck with love except us"

"Yeah, we're pathetic aren't we? We haven't had any drinks and we're talking about love" he laughed, taking a bite of his waffle.

"You're right" I said, finishing my food.

~

"Hurry up, it's cold" Matt shivered, putting his hands into his jacket pockets.

"How far are we going?"

"Oh shush. Just another block" he said, a bit ahead of me.

"Matt, you said that five minutes ago and slow down"

He looked back at me, meeting my eyes over his shoulder. When we arrived at a busy intersection, we stopped on the sidewalk, and he mumbled something.

"Oh, so you can swear but I can't"

"Yeah. I'm not being a great role model for you, am I?" He said, taking out his hand and patting my head. I rolled my eyes and he smiled. "Are you shrinking?"

"Don't"

He laughed, turning back to the lights. I've enjoyed the sights of Boston like this. Matt tugged on my sleeve until I followed him across the street. Soon, we arrived in front of a bar that Matt pulled me into.

"Can I have two martinis please?" He asked the bartender, and he nodded, turning to grab the glasses.

I sighed and sat down on the barstool beside Matt. He smiled at me and took his jacket off, as I admired his side profile.