35

My favourite chapter by far and you'll see why ;)

Matt's POV

Bringing the cup to my lips, I was warmed by the coffee. My rings clinked against the cup as I walk. Looking up, I hurry past the shining doors that began to close. Exhaling, I press a finger to the number I want.

"Hey" I mumble to the person on the elevator. They hardly looked at me as they scrolled through their phone. "So..I guess she's graduated by now and has the Bar coming up. Has she said how it went if she's taking it already?" I asked, leaning against the railing.

"Why don't  you ask her?" Luke barked, not even looking at me.

"Luke-" I started, but he didn't let me finish.

"I'm not your messenger, Matt. I was done with it months ago, I don't know why you didn't take the hint when I stopped talking to you" I try to cut him off, but I didn't get the chance. "If you want to know how Y/N is doing, Matt, then ask her. But don't lead her on again and then ditch her, she doesn't deserve that. I don't know what's stopping you from asking" He finished, stepping off the elevator.

"Fuck" I mumbled, before drinking more of my coffee.

Your POV

"Holly?" I mumbled, knocking on her bedroom door. She turned to me, with a curious look.

"I need to tell you something and you can't be mad at me"

"When you start a sentence like that, Y/N, I can promise you I'll be mad" she laughed, waving me over and pausing the video she was watching. "You look like a lost puppy"

Moving over, Holly gave me some room to sit down beside her.

"So you know I haven't been able to find a new job since graduating" I started as she licked her peanut butter covered spoon. "I just applied for one"

A big smile covered Holly's face. "Y/N, that's great! Why would I be mad?" Holly laughed, but then her smile quickly faded. "Why would I be mad?" She asked, tilting her head to the side. The realisation unfolded on her face and her eyes widened.

"Y/N, you did not apply there!"

"It was the only open position I've come across in months, Holly. You know that I started looking in November. Somehow every firm in Boston is full and isn't hiring any new ones! I had to!" I admit, explaining myself.

"You didn't have to! You're not going to be happy there, you know that"

"So? It'll be experience on my resume" I said, trying to explain my decision.

"Who cares about that, Y/N? You now what you're doing walking in there again. You can't go back to work for him, you know that. Are you stupid applying to work at Matt's firm?" She yelled, her face full of anger. It almost broke my heart.

'Let me explain. I know I have a good shot at getting the job. One, I've worked there before, most places jump to hire someone familiar. Two, I know how things go there. I know their database, their filing system. I know their copier, Holly. They pay their employees good and I need that now. I won't let him get to me, Holly. I need the job more than I need him. I'm over him"

"You already filled out the application" Holly sighed, dropping her head into her hands. She then looked back at me, with an expression of honesty. "And what if you walk back in there, and suddenly, you're not over him?"

"I'll figure it out"

"Y/N, for all we know, he's still dating that girl. You know that's going to kill you, even more than it did with Chloe" She said, rubbing my knee.