|| Ballroom Dance

⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇

     ⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷⋇

        "The Yule Ball," McGonagall's voice cut through the sound of the static coming from the phonograph.

        Gryffindor and Ravenclaw gathered in the ballroom. Both houses had their corner. The boys stood in front and the girls stood at the back. They took off their robes, revealing vests and dress shirts.

       "We and our guests gather in the Great Hall on Christmas Eve night." McGonagall paced around the room. "As representatives of the host school, I expect every one of you to put your best foot forward."

        "And I mean this literally, because . . ." McGonagall paused. "The Yule Ball is a . . . dance."

        The room split into mixed reactions — most girls were giggling. The boys were groaning. Y/N didn't react. She wasn't bad at dancing. It was the opposite; she'd consider herself fine. She may not have been an acrobat, but slow dances were her forte — thanks to Amaryllis' never-ending stream of ball invitations. This time, at least, she would dance with people she liked.

       "Silence!" McGonagall put her hands up for quiet. "Hogwarts has commanded the respect of the wizard world for ten centuries. You won't besmirch that name in a single evening by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons!"

        "Try saying that five times fast," Fred said to George.

        "Dancing is letting the body breathe." McGonagall puffed up her chest and let out a deep exhale. "Inside every girl, secret swan slumbers — longing to burst forth and take flight!"

        "Something's about to burst out of Eloise Midgen, but it's not a swan," Ron said under his breath, but everyone heard. The attention shifted to the acne-faced girl — who looked uncomfortable.

       Y/N chuckled to herself. Hermione didn't look impressed. McGonagall shot Ron a sideways glance and walked over to him. Ron's smile fell as McGonagall stared at him.

      "Mr. Weasley," McGonagall said. "Care to join?"

      Ron swallowed hard before he stood up. McGonagall led him to the room's center and instructed him to place his hand on her waist.

       "Where?" Ron said.

       "My waist. Do you not know basic anatomy?"

       Ron looked as pale as a ghost before he put his hand on McGonagall's waist. Y/N and Harry smirked and whistled. Ron shot them glares and giggles filled the room as Filch started the music.

       "One . . . two . . . three."

       Y/N's giggles filled the room; even with her hand over her mouth, she couldn't stop them. McGonagall stopped. Y/N immediately shut her mouth.