|| 48. Cuddles and Kisses (UN-EDITED)

Y/N's footsteps faltered as she came to an abrupt halt, her ears perking up at the sound of a voice resonating through the empty corridors. The words carried a weight of urgency and secrecy that instantly captured her attention.

"It's a sign, Severus. You know what it means as well as I!" The voice, tinged with a mix of determination and desperation, echoed through the hallways. Intrigued, Y/N turned her head to the side, her eyes widening as she caught sight of Severus Snape and Igor Karkaroff inside a nearby room.

Y/N's curiosity piqued, she moved closer, careful to remain unnoticed. Her eyes widened as Igor pulled up his sleeve, revealing the unmistakable mark of a Death Eater imprinted on his forearm. The dark symbol, twisted and cruel, seemed to writhe with malevolence, sending a shiver down Y/N's spine.

Confusion etched across her face as she observed the encounter. Igor swiftly concealed the mark, covering it with his sleeve before making his way past Y/N. Their eyes locked for a fleeting moment, a silent exchange of understanding passing between them.

Y/N continued walking, her steps mirroring Snape's as she listened to his voice cutting through the silence. However, before she could make any significant progress, her name resonated through the air, halting her in her tracks. She turned to face Snape, her expression a mixture of curiosity and wariness as he addressed her.

"What's your hurry?" Snape's voice dripped with his usual disdain, his gaze locked onto Y/N. Reluctantly, she approached him, prepared for whatever sharp words he had in store for her.

"Congratulations, Crimson," Snape remarked, his tone laced with a begrudging admiration. "Your performance in the Black Lake was, albeit reckless, undeniably inspiring. Though it seems you managed to annihilate a significant portion of the lake's aquatic creatures with your fiery display," he added, his tone betraying a hint of disapproval.

Y/N nodded, acknowledging the unintended consequences of her actions. She had been caught up in the heat of the moment, driven by a desire to protect and survive. However, she couldn't deny the lingering sense of guilt that clouded her mind.

"Indeed, Gillyweed," Snape continued, his voice taking on a slightly less acerbic tone. "I assume that was your secret weapon." He raised an eyebrow, his penetrating gaze fixed upon Y/N, waiting for confirmation.

"Yes, sir," Y/N replied, her voice steady despite her apprehension. Snape nodded, a glimmer of reluctant approval flashing in his eyes. "Ingenious," he admitted begrudgingly, his words carrying a rare hint of admiration.

With a dismissive flick of his cloak, Snape motioned for Y/N to follow him. Reluctantly, she complied, stepping into the dimly lit room that lay beyond. She watched as Snape ascended a ladder, his long, slender fingers delicately brushing against the array of jars that adorned the shelves.

"A rather rare herb, gillyweed," Snape mused, his voice filled with a tinge of intrigue. "Not something you'll find in your everyday garden," he added cryptically, his gaze fixed on a particular vial nestled amidst the others. With careful precision, he plucked it from its place, holding it up for Y/N to see.

"Nor is this," Snape stated, his voice dripping with a mix of authority and condescension as he descended from the ladder. He turned to face Y/N, his piercing gaze fixed upon her as he held the vial tightly in his hand. Y/N furrowed her eyebrows, her curiosity intensifying as she awaited his next words.

"Do you know what this is?" Snape inquired, his tone laced with a hint of expectation. Y/N shook her head, acknowledging her lack of knowledge on the subject.

"Bubble juice, sir?" she retorted sarcastically, a scowl forming on her face.

"Veritaserum," Snape declared, his voice carrying a weight of significance. "Three drops of this potent potion, and even You-Know-Who himself would divulge his darkest secrets willingly," he explained, his words resonating with a mixture of awe and caution. Y/N's eyes widened, a flicker of understanding crossing her features.