Obvious

They held hands all the way home on the train, Charlie's head on Nick's shoulder. He dozed a little and they talked a little, but mostly they were content just to be together.

Nick walked him home, kissing him good-bye on his doorstep this time, and Charlie let himself into the house.

His parents were sitting at the kitchen table with their newspapers and cups of tea. It seemed like the perfect time to tell them. "Mum, Dad, have you got a minute?"

Charlie's dad put his paper down immediately, his mum a bit more slowly.

Taking a seat at the table facing them, Charlie said, "I wanted to talk to you. It's ... about Nick."

"Yes. We've wanted to talk to you about Nick as well," his mum said crisply. "We think you've been spending too much time with him, and it's not good for you."

Charlie stared at her. Where had this come from? He turned to his dad, who shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "It's just that we worry about ... some of the things that have happened when you've gone places together. The cinema, and that party."

"But those weren't Nick's fault! Those were—" How to explain it? He tried to find the words.

"You see? You can't even tell us why." His mother shook her head and started to pick up her paper again.

"No, but you don't understand!" Charlie said desperately. "Everything's different now!"

"Different how? And since when?" his dad asked.

"Since—well, since Friday, really, but ... today. Nick and I—we've been going out. For about two months now. Starting—starting the morning after that party, when he came over."

He had both their attention now. "I thought Nick was straight," his mum said, frowning.

"So did I! So did he. And that was the problem. He ... well, he needed time to figure things out, to—be ready to come out. And I didn't want to rush him."

"And he's ready now?" Charlie's dad asked, looking skeptical. Charlie didn't blame him entirely; this must all seem very fast to them.

"Yes. We're—he's out now, or will be, and we're telling people. So ... I'm telling you." He ducked his head shyly, swallowing before he tried to get out the next words. "I ... I really like him. He's—"

"He is quite respectful when he comes to visit," his mum said thoughtfully. "And you do always seem happy when he's here."

His dad nodded. "All right, Charlie. I think Nick should come to dinner sometime. I'm—glad you found someone."

"Thanks, Dad. Thanks, Mum." He got up from the table feeling exhausted, but also pleased. He had a real boyfriend, and now everyone who mattered could know about it.

Leaving his parents to their newspapers, Charlie went to his room to text his friends. "Nick's out!! He says we're going to tell people!"

All of them—even Tao—were happy with this, and immediately a new chat got set up with Nick, and with Tara and Darcy, to set up a full group movie night. Nick volunteered to host, since he had room and everyone wanted to meet Nellie.

Nick's mum was teaching him how to cook, which he took remarkably seriously. It was almost like watching him play rugby, to see him so focused on what he was doing. Charlie offered to help, but he kept getting caught up watching Nick and messing up the task he'd been given, so eventually Nick and his mum sent him to walk Nellie.

Following Charlie to the door, Nick took the opportunity to kiss him. "Something I can do better than Charlie Spring," he marvelled. "What a great day."