XLIV. THE NOBLE

(FLASHBACK)

(Year 852)

"Is leaving him there even that much of a good choice? Eren's a mere individual that Marley has been searching for and he's letting himself live in a place like that as hostage?" Nile exclaimed in frustration. "Foolish..."

The Survey Corps and the Royal Council watched him resting his temples. They have gathered at last after Hanji's infiltration to Marley, although, the news of Eren disappearing had risen their concerns about the Founding Titan's safety.

"Without a superior's approval, he left with unclear reasons?" One of the council formally inquired.

"He did leave us a letter. Although, as much as we wanted to know his reasons for staying there without our approval, it was all unclear..." Hanji sighed.

"Brats these days are stubborn. He's staying there to talk to Zeke on his own, learning about what the hell is going on with that place." Levi uttered harshly with crossed arms.

The Military Police adjusted their posture on their seat in dismay. "Being in Marley would prevent him from sending word. How can we be so sure that this plan of theirs would happen if they still keep hiding secrets from us?"

"When we wait for his mark to retrieve him. Once a year, Kiyomi offers us visits to upcoming meetings since the conference between the politicians didn't do well as we expected." The Commander answered in disappointment. "We can either see him in person or wait for his mark. Even though he stubbornly thought of bailing us, we have no choice but to do as he says. He's humanity's last hope after all..."

"What are we going to do with the Valkyrie then?" Someone asked.

"She would shriek if her so-named host has disappeared, and yet she's still collected. We would have heard her demands by now but no...She knows. She hears. Obviously, she has something to do with this." Levi speculated stoically.

"So you suspect that she and Eren might be up to something? That him staying in Marley is all part of their plan?" The Commander of the Military Police raised his eyebrows.

"That's impossible. Security is tight and strict around her dungeon, we would not let any man meet her unless it's the military or someone who asked for consent." General Zackly contemplated.

"Aera's lost in her mind, you know that. That prickly woman wouldn't even utter a word if you inquire. Confronting her is useless." One of the higher-ups of the Military Police spoke.

"What are her recent visitors?" Zackly inquired as Nile eyed the soldier sitting next to him.

He gasped in a startled demeanour when he caught Nile's gaze towards him. He immediately skimmed through the papers in his hand. "Let's see here...a philosopher comes routinely to counsel her. We didn't hire him but the old man's willing to visit her to commune with her thoughts regardless."

"Who came up with this idea when that woman would barely even talk?" Levi made a scowl.

"Then, did this philosophical counselling spark anything?" Hanji asked, waiting for a response from the soldier.

"Rand was the one who witnessed it. Come on, Rand. Tell them." He nudged his shoulder to his comrades.

"Shortly-full of life arguments. Gotta tell you, the old guy is no joke. He's good at analyzing her." Rand answered solemnly yet in amusement. "The look on Aera's bitter face was unimaginable! HA! It was rather a debate rather than a counselling activity in my opinion."

"Enough about the philosopher. Let's return to the subject." Zackly spoke.

"We already know that confronting her would be useless. It would be best to have someone who she's familiar with to talk to her," said Nile, knowing how hopeless the outcome of approaching her will be. "Someone who somewhat has lived with her in the same environment formally or people who are close to Eren."