Chapter 1: Adopting A Daughter

Roughly that day, as evening approached, a fierce storm loomed on the horizon. Haboob occurred as a result of the thunderstorm's turbulent wind outflow, which was imminent. The air grew heavy with anticipation as the rain followed, accompanied by a deafening roar of thunder.

A vibrant red car raced down the long road, its speed unmatched. The destination: an old Orphanage home nestled on the outskirts, adjacent to the busy pedestrian line. Despite its outward appearance of tranquility, the orphanage's aging buildings revealed the passage of time. A soft, colorful light emanated from the gateway, casting a warm glow on the approaching storm.

With screeching tires, the car abruptly halted in front of the massive wooden gate. The car door swung open, revealing a woman in her late twenties. Her demeanor suggested urgency, and her eyes darted around, searching for something precious. Determinedly, she pushed through the tall gate and sprinted toward the orphanage, undeterred by the pouring rain. Worry and anxiety etched across her face.

Her husband closely followed, struggling to catch up with her pace. He, too, shared an air of concern and desperation. Although his wife never looked back in search of their missing daughter, she eventually turned to face him. He appeared to be in his late twenties as well. His distinct features created a striking contrast—a sharp nose, piercing deep blue eyes, a strong jawline, and attractive, full lips. His fair skin glowed, reflecting the light from the surrounding scenery.

"You shameless man, Our daughter is missing, and look at how you walk!" The woman exclaimed, her voice filled with frustration and fear.

"Perhaps I've been too forward," she whispered to herself, regretting her harsh words. Mei Ling now cursed herself for her lack of empathy.

Despite his demanding responsibilities as the CEO of the Lin Dynasty, Lin Jun, Mei Ling's husband, devoted himself to finding their missing daughter. The Lin organization, led by Lin Jun, had faced tumult due to this urgent matter. Madame Lin and Pa Lin, both retired, relied on their only son for support. The investigation had led them everywhere except the one place they now found themselves—the orphanage home. As they arrived at "Hope for Young Children," the name of the orphanage, their desperation reached its peak.

"You think I'm shameless, huh? Why don't you search for your own missing daughter? You caused this mess, leaving her in that wretched school..." Lin Jun paused, his voice breaking as tears rolled down Mei Ling's saddened and solitary eyes.

With a heavy heart, Lin Jun felt the anguish surging through his mind. Regret weighed upon him, causing a deep disappointment in his actions towards his beloved wife. Pulling her into his embrace, he tenderly kissed her forehead, a silent apology for his outburst. "Let's go and find our missing daughter," Lin Jun said, his tone filled with urgency as he exhaled with a newfound calmness.

As the couple approached the grand entrance of the orphanage, they stood before the imposing wooden doors. Mei Ling caught sight of the guardian, Mrs. Yi Ye, also known as the child care social worker. Anxious and desperate, she hastily pleaded, "Please, Mrs. Yi... Yee, I am in search of my little daughter..."

"Yes, our precious daughter. She will turn nine next month. She has dark hair, and her name is Mei Qing... she is..." Mei Ling's frustration grew as she stumbled over her words, seething with dissatisfaction at her husband's ignorance.

Does he not even know what our daughter looks like? The thought weighed heavily on her mind. However, Mrs. Yi Ye's interruption brought a sense of relief.

"Mrs... How do you know my name?" Mrs. Yi Ye asked, her confusion evident. Lin Jun responded in a cold, matter-of-fact manner, "It's from your name tag, Miss." Mrs. Yi Ye's eyes widened in surprise. "Oh, right! Yes, of course!" she exclaimed.
"We have two girls here in the orphanage named Mei Qing... please, follow me." Yi Ye nodded, gesturing for the couple to follow her.

"Please, don't worry," the woman assured them, offering a polite smile. "Oh, yes. This way, please. I will take you to the two Mei Qings we have," Miss Yi Ye hurriedly said, quickening her pace as she motioned for the couple to follow her.

She led them to a modest, unfurnished building. Cracks marred the walls, and the decoration inside barely reached two percent. Basic furniture was scattered haphazardly, a stark contrast to the well-maintained exterior. Mei Ling caught sight of a pit latrine, infested with flies and maggots. A putrid white vapor rose from it. She couldn't help but think, 'I hope to never lay my eyes on this again.'

Yi Ye opened the door to the first room. As soon as they laid eyes on the chubby, plump girl sitting on the floor, sucking on her lips like a baby, the couple shook their heads in unison. "No, she is not the one," they said simultaneously, without waiting for Yi Ye to introduce her.

They moved on to the other girl named Mei Qing, but she, too, was not the missing child they sought. Just as Lin Jun's cellphone rang out with its familiar tune, he immediately answered the call without checking the caller's name. "Hello, who am I speaking with?" His voice trembled as he spoke. Mei Ling listened intently to her husband's conversation with his secretary, Mr. Mo Lao, though the words exchanged were muffled, preventing her from grasping the full context.

"What's wrong, my love?" Mei Ling inquired, concern evident in her voice. Lin Jun remained silent, engrossed in his conversation, ultimately leaving her presence. Lin Jun was well aware that Mei Ling would be furious, but in this instant, he cared little, so long as he could shield his wife from the sudden and devastating news. "Where is her body?" Lin Jun's words were uttered in a hushed, melancholic tone, grief consuming him at the loss of his only daughter.

"I will bring it to your house safely," Mo Lao vowed, attempting to offer solace in the face of such tragedy. "Make sure no one sees it, do you understand?" Lin Jun requested as Mo Lao confirmed his understanding with a solemn promise. The connection was abruptly severed. Lin Jun slowly made his way back to where his wife and the child care social worker stood, his smooth and handsome face void of any emotion. "Forget it, Mei Qing is dead," he uttered, his words devoid of any inflection.