Broken Promises | AsaNoya [Angst]

Asahi sat beside Nishinoya, fidgeting with his thumbs nervously as his eyes stayed locked on the ground. Nishinoya looked up at Asahi with a blink, noticing his actions. “Something on your mind?” Nishinoya asked, tapping Asahi.

Asahi quickly looked at the small libero with a slight flinch, snapping out of this thoughts. “Oh, yeah. I'm fine.” Asahi gave a nervous smile, focusing on the ground again. Nishinoya grumbled, staring at the ace this time. “Don't lie to me. What's wrong?” Nishinoya said in a slightly gentle manner, placing one hand on Asahi's arm.

“It's just..” Asahi inhaled through his teeth sharply, hesitating. He eventually shook his head, dismissing the topic. “Nevermind.” He muttered with his head hung low. Nishinoya sat up, placing his hand underneath Asahi's chin to lift up. “Hey, look at me. Tell me what's wrong, I want to know.” Nishinoya looked directly into the ace's eyes with seriousness.

Asahi hesitated once more, looking into Nishinoya's brown colored eyes before speaking up. “I just have this feeling something's bad is going to happen.” Asahi paused, looking away from the libero. Nishinoya pressed his own lips together, growing more concerned. “Like.. to us?” Nishinoya whispered as Asahi gave a small shrug.

Nishinoya sighed, clinging on to the ace's left side of his huge body, rubbing the side of his face into his arm. “Don't worry. It'll be fine, because you have me by your side at all times!” Nishinoya's smile returned, looking up at the ace with a determined nod. Asahi looked back the the tiny libero, hugging his body with a small sniffle. “Yeah..” He responded in a wavery tone.

A moment of silence past between the two volleyball players before Asahi cleared his throat and spoke up again. “Um.. Nishi, can you promise something?”  He questioned, rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand nervously.

“Of course, I can keep a promise.” Nishinoya snickered before noticing Asahi's serious expression. The libero stood quiet, knowing this promise was definitely something important.

Asahi took a breath, eventually blowing out the cool air. “We'll be together? That if something happens, won't be separated?” Asahi paused, fidgeting with his hands again. “Because.. that's my latest fear. Losing you.” Asahi mumbled as Nishinoya stood quiet before pulling Asahi closer towards his body.

“You know I will never do anything to hurt you, mentally or physically. Right, Asahi?” Nishinoya slanted his eyes down, biting his lip. Asahi gave a slow nod, Nishinoya softening his grip on the ace's body. “I need you to trust me fully. I need you to know that I'll never.. NEVER break your heart, okay?” Nishinoya lifted his own head up, giving Asahi a small kiss on his forehead.

Asahi returned the affection, catching his relieved and happy sobs underneath his breath. “Thank you, Noya..” He muttered, Nishinoya giving a soft smile towards the ace. “Of course, Asa.”

~*~

The days turned into weeks, the weeks turned into months, and years past, both of them still keeping their secrets close to their hearts.

Until one late night, everything changed from now on.

Asahi opened the text messages to his phone, sitting down on a bench before he left. He messaged Nishinoya, typing slowly. He read over the sentence he typed before sending it. He found typos embarrassing.

"Nishi, I'm coming home, could you unlock the door, please? Thanks hun!" The message showed.

A few minutes went by as Asahi stared at his phone, there was no sign Nishinoya checked or read his message. His phone probably died. That's alright. He thought, shrugging it off and walking home.